What type of neck do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diowulf, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I was looking at basses today (like I always am), and I was wondering what kinds of necks people generally prefered on their basses. Do you like: through body necks, set necks, or bolt ons? Say what you like in terms of looks and sound.

Thank you in advance
  2. headless - bolt on - maple - 32 peice :D
    in other words a kubicki, the neck is like a hybrid of a jazz and a precision....plus i like some of the finish removed so you can feel the grain of the wood but its still got a finish on it
  3. My Spector.

neck through, anglied headstock, 24 frets rose wood on 3 piece maple.

Glossy & Chunky.

Having said that its fast as hell. I dont find the gloss sticky at all.

I'm also very comfortable on my BTB406, its wide and thin. Rosewood on maple, 5 piece Maple/Walnut/Maple/Walnut/Maple bolt on neck. 23/24 frets.

To me it fits like a glove, i prefer my Spector, but that damn BTB is sooo damn comfy!
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Neck-thru, narrow nut, rather thick and flat back and fingerboard.
    Stiff and light, laminated parallel to fingerboard.

"Anything else, sir?"
  5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Not from you :) , But more from others.

But thank you for your reply
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Set, unfinished or satin, ebony fretboard
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bolt-on or set-neck. Fretted. "Chunky" neck profile... also, the asymmetric MTD necks are da bomb!! Satin finish (or unfinished). Fingerboard radius on the flat side: 15" or so. I prefer a wider nut: 1-7/8" for a five string.

Fingerboard material: whatever looks cool!
  8. I don't care about the neck joint, but let's keep in mind that a set neck or through-the-body neck can't be replaced... :meh:

I, too, love the neck on my Spector. Good ol' glossy baseball bat. Feels solid and substantial. :cool:
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My bass is a Bolt-On, but I think what I like the most about it is the semi-eliptical shape. Its very flat feeling (top to bottom - not width) compared to almost any other bass Ive played. Took a bit of getting used too, but now everything else I play feels really round and awkward compared.
  10. I like bolt-on necks, either the Jazz (70's profile 1.5" wide but a little thicker than current spec) or P-Bass (the old style 1.75" wide) are fine. I like rosewood fingerboards a little better. I think bolt-on necks are a little punchier.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I prefer bolt-ons, especially on basses whose neck replacement can easily be found.

I like thin, front to back, wide, top to bottom, and unpainted & unglossy. I like maple and rosewood fretboards - can't decide between the two.
  12. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Asymmetrical, Hands down ! Tobias,MTD baby !
  13. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Asymmetrical,Hands down ! As in Tobias,MTD
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I love how the neck feels on my sadowsky p/j. It feels slightly satin'ish and it ain't chunky in any way.

It feels just right :D
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wide nut, chunkly neck, gloss finish, 21+ frets.

Why must my preferences be assailed by those who like Jazz necks?
  16. Both necks on my basses are perfect for me.
  17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    2 octave
    satin finish

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wide and Flat with a Satin Finish just like a Sadowsky :hyper: . Two Octave is nice too!.