Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of p/u is this? How different would a change be?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by APouncer, Jan 24, 2003.

1. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    Hello, I have a Yamaha bass guitar - a fairly basic one thats plays nicely. It has the style of p/u that is two separate ones side by side (one on E & A, other on D & G). Is this a 'J' p/u? How did they receive their names? It wasn't a very expensive guitar but I enjoy playing it and would like to upgrade it a little. I am interested in changing the p/u. How much difference do they make? Why do they make a difference? Will I be able to replace it myself with a soldering iron, screwdriver and an IQ of around 117? :) I'd like a clean, rounded, plenty of bottom end style tone so are there any specific ones you would recommend?

I have done a search, but I'm sorry, I got a heck of a lot of results, most too technical for me, and still no really basic info like "What's this p/u called?".

Thanks for your help.

2. The pickup that you have is known as a P pickup. It's called this because it first appeared on the Fender Precision Bass. It's a split coil to reduce humm. The J style pickup you asked about is from a Jazz bass. They are single coils that are long and skinny.

Changing pickups can make a world of difference in tone. What causes these differences? Different components I guess... different magnets, wire, amount of windings, possibly even bobbin material.

Can you change the pickup yourself? Yes! If you're replacing your pickup with another passive pickup (no batteries) then anyone with a minimum of soldering skills can unsolder the two wires and solder the new pickup's wires in their place.

-Steve

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    But I though it might generate a few more replies.

Thank you very much for the info Lustreking.

A quick joke so no-one feels short-changed by coming here for my "bump":

A scientist and a philosopher were being chased by a hungry lion. The scientist made some quick calculations, he said “it's no good trying to outrun it, its catching up”.

The philosopher kept a little ahead and replied “I am not trying to outrun the lion, I am trying to outrun you !”