What Type of Pick-up Was Ray Brown Using?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by powermans, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Ok, T'was the night before XMAS and every buggar had gone to bed except me, so I turn on cable and to my suprise I see a programme advertised "Jazz Essentials" and better still 3rd on the list of entertainment is the master "Ray Brown" RIP.
    live with interview from A North Sea Jazz Festival at some particular year...not important!
    This immediately woke my senses into anticipation of some 2am delight!
    Well Yes, Ray sounded Great and the trio really cooked but..... what grabbed my attention was ....what RB was using in the form of amplification from the bass. I'll do my best to describe the unit!

It looked a hell of lot like a SQUARE PATCH BAND-AID attached over the TOP -G-Side F Hole of the bass.This appeared to have a small wire either coming from the Band-aid or from INSIDE the F-Hole ! Couldn't tell.... the camera shot DID NOT give me enough time to examine the situation more closely.

OK, someone 's gonna know what he's using here.
    Share it with me!

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Thanks. Some people think that I'm being cross when I post a link with no text...but the truth is, when surfing while feeding a baby, a link is easier. :)
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Amen to that. Getting any sleep yet, Chris?

By the way, calluses are built, pain is gone! :) I'm a happy camper.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A friend of mine uses one of these and likes it. It has a wood-encased mic that mouns over the f hole, and a couple of Underwood type elements that go on the bridge. It's a very wood-shop-meets-Radio-Shack looking thing, though.
  6. Thanks Chris,
    "My Fountain of Knowledge"
    Powermans :D