1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of pickup (Quad or Dual coil) is capable of the following:

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by echoSE7EN, Mar 25, 2013.

1. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I'm beginning to over complicate my own ideas, and figured it's simply better to ask folks more knowledgeable than myself.

I'm looking for a set of 5-string HB pups for a build (for right now let's leave tone out of it, I would really like to focus on the switching possibilities), that would enable the following:

Neck Pup with a 3-three way switch
    Single Coil (Rear/South), Series HB, Single Coil (Front/North)

Bridge Pup with a 3-three way switch
    Single Coil (Rear/South), Series HB, Single Coil (Front/North)

A blend knob would be used between the two pups.

The questions I have concern:

Would this require dual coil or quad coil?

How many connectors would be required?

Is there a pup that would also be hum-canceling while in SC mode?

The form factor of the pup isn't extremely important at this point as there are no pre-existing routes to deal with. Also, I am not interested in a P/Reverse-P type of thing at the moment. That seems to over complicate the scheme.

Thanks,

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Both can do it. The difference is that dual coils in "single coil" mode will be legitimate single coils, whereas quad coils in "single coil" mode would still be hum cancelling, much like the split-coil jazz pickups that Nordstrand (and many others) make.

You would run each pickup to it's own switch, then output from the switch to the blend. The rest of the circuit follows as normal.

I believe Nordstrand, Bartolini, Delano all make the quad coils in the MM shape. Almost any company that offers a humbucker of any type will have splittable dual coils.

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    What he said :smug: (any dual coil size can be quad - to a certain degree)

M

4. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Thanks guys. This gives me a better understanding. Now to look at some pickups. I wish Bartolini's site was better organized. I did find a good thread someone started a year or so ago with some info regarding them. The Delano's aren't my cup of tea (from what I've heard, and I owned a Sandberg a couple of years ago). I've got Nordy's Fatstacks in my fretless, but they don't have a heck of a lot of output, and I've heard their MM isn't the highest output pup in the world. Love the tone of my Fatstacks, just hate having to increase my input levels when recording and using DI. But, more research is required at this point.

5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    fatstacks in humcan I might agree, but in single coil or the MM not having high output it's a news :)

The gain level on any input (amp, mixer etc) is there exactly for that purpose, adjust/level the signal...

6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Well, when you're recording, and everything is set-up for one bass to sit within a mix, and I switch to a bass requiring me to bump the I/O 20db+ to ensure that I'm getting appropriate levels into the DAW (and then needing to change many other parameters) it is a pain. Getting good signal to noise ratio can be tough enough. And at our MD/VA/DC GTG yesterday my bass with the Fatstacks was getting smoked from an output standpoint vs., other basses going into the exact same rig seconds later. Again, I love the tone of the Fatstacks, but I would never call them aggressive when it comes to output.

I misspoke about the output of the MM. I was told that the MM may lack a little fullness and low-end, not that it lacked output. Regardless, I don't know. I haven't had the chance to play one in person, and YouTube clips are pretty much the worst place to "hear" products (generally speaking). Hence why I am going a bunch of research before making a decision.

My initial idea for this build was the NP5 and a Big Split, which I've heard is an awesome combo. However, I feel as if I could buy a mass produced bass (e.g. Fender) and toss those pups in without issue. A custom build gives you the opportunity to do something different or unique; fueling the quest for a cool pup/pre/switching complete-package.