1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What type of pickups and electronics do you prefer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mettec, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Passive pickups w/passive electronics

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. Passive pickups w/active electronics

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Passive pickups with both passive and active controls

25 vote(s)
    32.9%
  4. Active pickups w/ active electronics

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I was just curious about what combination of pickups and electronics do you like most and why?

2. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    What are these active electronics and pickups, whats the difference between active/inactive?

3. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    passive/passive
    1) purest tone
    2) no battery worries
    3) no active noise - even the quietest have it
    In fact I'd like them straight piped to the output jack - no volume or tone or anything. You do need very high quality cables this way though and not too long.

4. there is a great ref Here on the diff. types of pickups available.

5. J-Retro and Lindy Fralin Splitcoils on Jazz Bass
    :hyper:

6. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    The Lindy Fralin pups are passive correct? I was thinking of them or Villex pickups w/ the East U-Retro deluxe 5 knob on a Warmoth 5 deluxe that I am going to get. I want to be able to choose between active or passive tones depending upon the song that I am performing.

7. Why would you need that? In fact; with a volume etc you will have more signal loss..

8. Yes, the Fralin split coils are passive (approx. 8k ohms)

9. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    In a passive circuit the volume and tone pots can have a negative effect on the sound. The volume does not boost. It only cuts. So you have better signal pickup straight to jack.

10. Active/Active
    There is a volume/output boost that comes from the Active electronics, but thats not my primary reason. Active helps keep mud away. I get a crystal clear tone, which I love. Some people say that being able to alter the tone from the preamp on your bass is cool, but I generally keep my onboard flat, and leave the settings to my amp.

I also like preamps that can alter between Active and Passive. Its a good idea for saving a gig when your batteries die, and also provides alot of tonal versitility, but I just rarley find myself delving into the Passive thing.

11. Active is battery powered, passive requires no power supply.

12. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    The more circuits your signal goes through to get to the speakers the worse it will likely sound. Active has its advantages but I don't consider tone one of them. I have great passive basses/pickups going to a great custom tube preamp then to the PA. Keep it as simple as you can. Add an on board preamp to a bad sounding bass and you have a noisier bad sounding bass.

13. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    People, why do you keep on worrying about batteries? I have passive emg hz and active preamp and batteries last forever. As long as you REMEMBER TO UNPLUG IT! In my opinion if you consider yourself a serious bassist, even if it did drain batteries like no tomorrow; if you like the sound, it doesn't matter. It is worth 5 bucks for a couple batteries for that awesome active grunt. That's why a lot of us need at least 2 basses, passive for the mellow tones, and active for the growls and I prefer slap on actives too. But it really comes down to preference and what kind of music you are in to.

14. Horses for courses. You can't get an active sound out of a passive bass and you can't get a passive sound out of an active bass. And as Slombovia has said, pickup straight to jack is pretty hot.

However, there's a reason why I use my passive pickup/active electronics bass in preference to my active pups/passive electronics and passive pups straight to jack basses. Its got the sound that I usually want, partly inherently but also because I can trim that little bit of troublesome high-end or add or subtract that bit of bass as required.

Given a bit more money, I'd consider Slombovia's pickup to jack to nice exteranl preamp. Except I'd need several basses or maybe a stereo setup, in order to get the necessary range of tone.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I loved active/active until I played passive/passive and worshipped that until I played passive pickups with a bypassable preamp. That's my weapon of choice now.

16. I have passive P/J pickups to a active preamp.. with of course an active/passive switch..

17. Wait. I must stop you there. My Cirrus (as well as all Cirri) is FAR from a bad sounding bass. The hundreds of basses using EMG active pickups are not bad sounding basses. The Active pickups do not cause bad tone, nor do passive pickups on other basses.

It is true that the more powerful electronic circitury SLIGHTLY raises impatince for a bit more noise, but that is about the extent of it. Act Pickups>Preamp>Tube Head>Cab>PA combared to Pas. Pickups>Pas. Electronics>Tube Head>Cab>PA. There is still the same amount of circitury for the sound to pass through. The only difference is the higher amount of electrical output is causing more impitance and more hum (its more like a slight hiss than true feedback).

18. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Being a fan of Anthony Jackson, Lincolin Goines, Richard Bona has really go me thinking on this topic in past six months. I got a Fender Marcus Miller bass and love it, but find I used it most the time in passive mode. Nice to have the pre-amp to kick in occasionally, but play passive most the time. Also with this bass there is no tone control in passive mode so I have worked more on getting tone with my hands.

Same time I check out the Fodera player AJ, Goines, and Bona. AJ zero controls on his bass, Goines a volume knob, then discovered recently Richard Bona being an old Fender player like passive and the electronics on his bass is disabled. So the player I listen to a lot all run minimal or passive setups.

Then this week to took my old Fender JBass and replaced the pickups with a set of Nordstrum NJ4SE's. The sound is fat and punchy no need for a tone control.

So I forsee no need for tone control in future. I do like have a volume control mainly for convenience.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think ,lincoln goins does infact have "buttons" . they are in the electronics compartment.-that's what I read somewhere...:bag:

20. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I like active/active. Namely EMG.

Graeme