What type of pups are best for funky jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chalie, Jun 15, 2005.

1. I think my old JJ pups are retired and I need to have a replacement.

The old one were Barts but I am not limited to this maker only and I wish to know which type of pups will suit me most if I wish to play a funky jazz (slap bass) with it.

split, stacked dual or single :help:

I know that JJ has some limitation but this is the real world.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, can I get dibs on your old ones?
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What kind of sound are you looking for specifically, anyways...
  4. Well a jazz bass knid but more glow than vintage style.

I think my old (20 yrs) one were active since the bass came with simple preamp with only tone control (no mid, bass or treble) . It is very low output if you by pass it too. Now I have a new preamp on but the sound is not much change so I am thinking for a replacement.

5. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i'd say try some basslines active jazz or even passive they have a sorta scooped sound but still have a vintage tone in a way maybe emgs, or even some diff barts, i;d say try the duncans 1st
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups are a bit less vintage, and have definitely more growl to them. I use them in an American Jazz Deluxe.
  7. I have a Parker Fly Bass 5 with Dimarzio ultra jazz and I don't like the sound that much. Maybe it is because of the bass woods which is wierd from others.

My issue was which type of winding is prefer for Funky Jazz.

Thanks for your thought. ;)
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You sir need to get yourself a set of NJ4SE's from Carey Nordstrand. I use them in my MIA Jazz for the same style you play. They sound great. The NJ4SV's are most excellent as well.

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes.... the more I play my bass, the more I love my Nordstrand pickups.
  10. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    And the thread rises from the grave . . . .

I too am looking at options for pickups for two of my basses. First one is a Fender fretless jazz, which I use for jazz standards by plucking upright style right on the neck, for a deep upright tone. What pickups would best compliment this style of playing? I also use the bass for contemporary music also, so versatility in tone is good too.

Second is a precision bass. I use this one mostly for jazz as well, and rock if it's needed. Looking for nice fingerstyle tone.