Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of sound would you describe this as?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/shuker2.mp3

If you listen to that clip, that describes a lot of the sound that i'd love to achieve one day.

So my question to all of you is what school of sound is this?

Is this the so called "P-Bass Sound", The "J-Bass Sound", The "Sound of EMG Pickups", the sound of "______ wood combination". Or is this tone made purely by this players wonderful technique? I've noticed wooten has a similar tone at times. It may be a combination of all, however, it is a great sounding bass i'm sure inherently.

For those Smart Alec's that would write this is the sound of a Shuker Bass with _____, _____, _____, I know that. However, I'd like to know the family or classification for the type of sound that this bass nails. Thanks.

Kind of random, maybe this may be for miscellaneous.

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    wow I want that tone...sometimes.

thats a really nice tone for soloing.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    For the melody, it sounds like a humbucking bridge position pickup with the bass boosted. Active pickups. I might say wenge neck because of the dry sound quality, but that could be other mistaken.

4. I agree that it sounds like the bridge pickup is favored. As for it being a humbucker, I can't tell. It does sound like a modern, active bass type sound with the bass boosted, and the treble probably left flat. There are so many different types of woods, and wood combinations, that I think it's impossible to tell just from one clip.

5. i have played this bass its owned by bass player James Croft

Thru Neck Custom
    Zeberano Body
    7 piece Wenge and Maple Neck with
    EMG 45P on the brdige and EMG 46J on the neck

Coupled together u get a warm bottom end and very solid and warm top end with punchy mid range...its killer for slap to :) the Fingerboard is Santos which is a lovely wood :)

[​IMG]

:)..

I am having a Custom 5 String Bolt-On Elite made by Jon with two EMG with 35TW's going to be sweet..but for a example of the richness of Shuker listen to this sample

A Shuker J-Bass Custom :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted with EMG a EMG DC on the brdige and CS on the Neck the TW's have a J and CS in the same pickup so mine will sound similar to this :).....its slightly distorted on the bottom end due to the fact it was recorded into a soundcard direct :)...trust me no distotion on this bass wot so ever :)

Shuker doing a Jaco