Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what type of strings should I get

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scottos150, Jun 13, 2002.

1. I need new strings but I have no idea what to get could someone give me some pointers? Thanks ( I have a fender jazz bass ,if that helps)

2. Well, I would start out with a roundwound type strings, since most people favor these. Next I would go with nickle to save on fret wear, though some like the brightness of stainless steel and don't mind fret work down the road.

As far as brands, people at this site seem to like DR Low Riders, Ernie Ball Slinky, D'Addario XLs or Slowounds. There are lots of brands out there, I have used GHS Boomers a lot, but switching to Thomastik powerbass which are more expensive. For stainless steel I would try DR Highbeams.

You can do a search on these brands at his site and get different opinions. Eventually you will find a string you really like and find those you don't like, but roundwounds are a good place to start.

3. thank you, that should help alot.

4. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have a fender Jazz Bass also. I would also say that roundwounds are the most popular but I have flats on mine. Flats have a much different sound especially if you are into Jamerson, motown, blues, or the sound of a 60's bass. Flats have more of a short thump and less ring on the tone. IMHO. It really depends on the music you are playing or the tone that you are after.

steve