1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What type of switch do I need for this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Will_White, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Oct14_PG_CLM_ModGarage_image2_WEB.
    I found this diagram for a Strat and I'm looking to use it for a bass. It's a variation of the Brian May Red Special wiring with a series/parallel switch. I'm not going to use the phase switches because phase switches suck for bass, but for the individual pickup on/off switches do I need DPST on/off switches or more standard DPDT on/on switches. I haven't been able to find any 6 pin on/off switches.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    What do you mean exactly by "6 pin on/off switch"? a six pole, single throw switch? I don't think those exist. Any on-on double pole switch (DTDP, DT3P ect.) can be wired as a single-pole on/off switch. Three and four pole toggle switches exist, but they're kind of hard to find and a bit expensive since they are specialty items. The series/parallel switch in your wiring diagram is a four pole, double throw switch.

3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I'm looking at the on/off switches, they have 6 pins or lugs in the diagram. I'm asking if those are DPST ON/OFF switches with 6 lugs or if they are DPDT ON/ON switches.
    I wasn't asking about the Series/Parallel switch, the diagram clearly says 4PDT for that. I found one of those in about 5 minutes and it was a dollar more then it's DPDT counter part.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Looks like the slider switches that are on Mustangs

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    They are DPDT switches. Since they are double throw, they are "on-on". This is the common, standard type of DPDT switch.