Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of switch ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Mar 5, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    If you wanted to wire up a dual coil ( Like an MM ) for 3 different operations, either Series / Parallel / Single coil , does that mean it would need a Triple Pole , Triple throw switch ?

I cant find a single electronics site that sells such a thing.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks BUD.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Looks like i have to buy from the US. Anyone know any good electronics stores that will sell 1 puny DPTT on on on switch ??

5. Major

Major

Jan 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Guitar shops can usually order them out of their catalogue. Staff may not be aware of this.
    Cheers.

6. Major

Major

Jan 7, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I forgot to mention: I use a 4-pole, 3-position rotary switch to achieve this combination. It's a cheaper and easier to find alternative. If you're interested and if I can get my wife to show me how to use the scanner, I could send you a diagram.
    Cheers.

7. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks Major - that would be ace :)

PS ..it would be used to wire up a NORD 4.3 Series/Parallel/Single coil

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know any that will sell only one, but guitarelectronics.com and stewmac.com and usual places I get my parts from.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hi David - as there is an alternative ( the rotary switch ) i may go back to checking the UK out first.

Its a bit mad to source one little switch in the US if i can get this part in the UK :cool:

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Try www.surplussales.com(not a link, don't click)for old or oddball stuff, bring your credit card though, they arent cheap.
    I am not affiliated, just get cool knobs and stuff from them every once in a while, oh yea, I think they will sell you "just one"...

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm now thinking i should wait till i get to see a NORD 4.3 diagram, which NORD dont have on their site, as this has a dummy 3rd coil, and getting the wrong switch will just be a pain in the butt.