Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What type of tone from Mahogony?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Apr 7, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    I recently been seeing basses using a mahogony wood body and was wondering what type of tone does it produce?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If it's a nice piece of Mahogany, you'll get a rich, warm low-mid tone. If it's not a nice piece of Mahogany, it'll be a little muddy and unclear in the lows.

I've heard some Mahogany produce some of the greatest tones on a bass ever, and other pieces were just so-so.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sounds like it looks. Lots of low-mid growl. Pair it with single-coil pickups to get an uber-Jazz tone.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    agreed, heavy on the mids- i personally prefer ash or alder or poplar, but thats just me.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree with RAM.
    But It has to be a light, strait grain, Hondorus Mahogany.
    I will cost more, but has best sound.

6. My P-Bass clone has a mahogany body with a maple neck and fingerboard. It has a very strong lower mid presence. I think mahogany emphasizes the classic P-Bass character of the instrument...it sounds very rich and fat.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I imagine it would sound devine on a fretless.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So does anyone have any idea what my Ibanez BTB mahogony body may be...what type that is??? I do know that it sounds sweet.

9. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Sounds good, but may not be what Im looking for. But alder and ash, don't they have a more bright tone?

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "I are good at grammar!" :smug:
    Then correct divine, too :p :D

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, they do. Bright, biting highs. maybe even too much of it...

Mahogany can also make for a strong, very deep low end, too

12. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    So what do you think you'd get with a combination of mahogany and ash? Or mahogany and maple?

(Reconizing that other elements of the bass, neck material, construction, fretboard, etc... will also affect the sound of the bass.)

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think maple and ash are similar in brightness, but ash (swamp ash) is more open sounding, where maple tends to be tighter, more compressed sounding.

I also think (my opinion, of course) that maple is a far nicer looking wood than swamp ash. Furthermore, tonally, I'd probably prefer maple on mahogany over ash on mahogany. The brightness of the lighter woods, coupled with the low-end heaviness of mahogany is likely to produce a very rich, complex tone that could end up getting muddy if the wood pairing isn't done carefully.

14. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Very cool. I've been talking to Fred at Bee Basses about doing a bass for me. (Or a Nordstrand. I can't decide!)

Anyway, I was thinking of a maple body core with mahogany wings and a curly redwood top. Maple neck with I don't know what kind of stringers, black ebony fretboard. Demeter preamp and bartolini PUs.

I'm going for hi-fi sound with good attack and a big fat presence. Do you think that would work?

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Stringers: you could choose all kinds. Two that come to mind are wenge and purpleheart. Many others should also work very well.

Sounds like you've got the makings of one TOTALLY KILLER bass!:D

16. Testtubeboy

Testtubeboy

Mar 30, 2004
    Halifax
    my k5 is part mahogany, part paduck, part walnut, and part wendge. those probably are incorrectly spelled but you get the idea. I find that it has a very mudy tone. However, i must qualify this by stating that my amp is a pos peavy 15 eg no nice highs (they sound like they are made by a synthesizer) i dont know if its the bass or the amp but i am thinking about ditching both for an eden 2x10 and a artcore semi hollow body. YOu guys should try one, i did today and i almost spunked my pants. best hi-fi combonation ever