What type of wood is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Hey i love this wood i was just wondering what it was and if it sounds good on a fretless...also...whats the big deal about snakewood?
  2. emor

May 16, 2004
    Looks like bird's eye maple.
  3. Thanks a lot...would it sound good on a fretless and whats the big deal about snakewood?
  4. Snakewood - very expensive and very hard to find in wide enough pieces to use. very nice when it is used though.
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    That is WAY TOO LIGHT for snake wood, and the grain / figure is all wrong, looks like blistered maple to me.
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I own a snakewood fingerboard fretless Stambaugh bass.
    Snakewood is harder than ebony. with some of the brightness
    of maple.
    It does cost a lot for good snakewood.
    A great sounding fretless wood.Birds eys maple is also one of my fav's for fretless fingerboard.
    Not a strong a snakewood.
    But I like sound of fretless maple alot.
  7. Hey so where could i get a good fretless bass with a snakewood neck?
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    No clue but darnit man are you in the market for another bass lol ?!?!?!? I reckon you might have to slow down, you're like an alcoholic but on wood and strings and electronics :p It's okay I guess I get ALOT of GAS like a Sterling I saw tonight but i have no cash so oh well!
  9. nah im not in the market for another one...god knows im not an endless flow of cash i just like to know these things....GAS is an incurable disease haha
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    His question about Snakewood was separate from his question about what wood is in the pic -- which is, in fact, birdseye maple.
  11. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    mojo- Id love to see a pic of the snakewood stammie...

heres mine...

Heres my marchlewski maple board fretless also...

The snakewood is like glass... but not very forgiving on intonation, you have to be right on top of the note...

The maple is punchier... I tend to like the maple the best, but you cant beat the look of snakewood.
  12. catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    James Hart (speddling) has a wicked example of the use of maple in a fretless. I'm sure he'll post it here soon!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sorry I'm late ;)

I'm diggin the bird's eye fretless!!!! I'm going snakewood on my LowEnd Jazz fretless 6
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

You're a TEASE!
  15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    If you want a bass with a snakewood fingerboard, you have to have it built for you. AFAIK a board like that is too expensive to put on an instrument that isn't already spoken for.