Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What types of EQs do you like to use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjazz50, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Bass and Trebble

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Bass, Mid, Trebble

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. Bass, quasi-parametric Mid, Trebble

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Multi-band quasi-parametric (EA iAMP, SWR SM series, Eden)

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. 1 or 2 band fully parametric

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. 3 or more band fully parametric

10 vote(s)
    16.1%
  7. 8 band graphic

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. 15 band graphic

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. 30 band graphic

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  10. I like salami.

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Personally, I think a 5-band fully parametric would be really cool to play around with, but maybe a little to much for most playing situations.:D What do you guys (and gals) think?

2. Bass, Mid, Treble. When I need it, I'll use a 9 band EQ for a bit of tweaking/boosting.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh...Eden? it's 3 band semi parametric w/ 3 bands of shelving, and bass and treble pots...heck, it's the WT-300. That's about all I need, though I do appreciate the visual aspects of a good 7 band slider EQ...

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    After learning how to use fully parametric EQ, I like that the best - powerful and flexible. I don't see many bass amps using them, though. Come to think of it, haven't seen a single one.

5. 30-band graphic. A Rane GE30. The sliders are an exact frequency match for my RA27 frequency analyzer. It allows for a perfect dial-in of any room condition.

6. I like fully parametric as well. It's total control. I use them all the time and I actually prefer them to a graphic for EQing a PA. There's a bit of a learning curve though. They're not totally straightforward which is why you don't see them on bass rigs.
    If you need a 31 band graphic to get a sound, then you need a new rig! :D

7. ....Unless you're doing that!

I owned some GE30s when I owned a buch of PA gear. Great EQs, well made and responsive. I never really got into using RTAs. I found that an RTA couldn't tell me anything my ears couldn't. The more sophisticated analyzers that show 1/24 octave resolution, phase traces and give delay times between sources(JBL SMAART, Meyer SIM) are pretty useful though. Although they're probably a bit much for a bass rig......A SIM machine is $30000.....:D

8. What's parametric mean? My amp has a 7 band EQ, with bass and treble knobs too, that's enough control for me.

9. Parametric means that all of the "parameters" of the EQ can be controlled independently. Those parameters are center frequency, bandwidth, and amplitude. Quasi-parametric means that only the center frequency and amplitude can be set.

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    four band series eq with three voicing controls: 5/4 string bass switch (+11db@20hz), contour, and presence. gets me any sound i've ever wanted/needed.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have 2 channels on my preamp

1: 10-band graphic EQ 40, 60, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.2k, 2.4k, 4k, 8k Hz

2: Bass, fully parametric mid1 (50-1800), fully parametric mid2 (250-2500), Treble

Usually I use the 2nd channel, but the 1st gets some use also. I can even use both at the same time.

12. Bass/Treble on the Bass.

Semi parametric on the preamp.

9 band EQ on the preamp. (rarely fiddle with it)

13. I should have put "No EQ. I want it to sound like the voice of God from the moment I plug in and turn on." as an option. :D

14. ok. :confused:

Thanks for trying.

15. Ideally, I dislike tweaking for tone. I used to tweak like a madman at home, then re-tweak at practice, then re-tweak at a gig. You can't count on settings you've made in one place getting the tone you want for another.

So now I prefer fewer, fairly broad tone controls. Everything's flat unless I need to get rid of some boom or at some mids to cut through. And I picked my amp based on a flat EQ. (Ashdown ABM 500.)

I really like the Ashdown setup for this. Bass, Mid, Treble. Sensibly set freqs and Q. And a few intermediary graphic sliders in case the freqs aren't exactly what you need.

It's a great setup for fast, easy tweaking.

16. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I prefer a basic 3-band EQ. My amp has a Bass, Treble Tube Eq and then a 2-band Semi parametric Eq and I find myself using mainly the set frequency EQ most. I am not a knob tweaker and don't rely on the amp for my tone...that comes from my fingers and my bass. I have a bass that has near perfect tone (meaning perfect thru "my" ears...other results may vary) so the amp is there to do just that - AMPLIFY! My amp EQ is mainly used to balance out the "Room" acoustics only.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And what could then possibly be better than a multi-band fully parametric one? :)

18. crud19

crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    Missouri
    Graphic EQs on amplifiers are unamerican. If you are so unhappy with your sound that you require nine bands of parametric EQ to fiddle with, perhaps it's time for a new bass or amp. Hm?