1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Upgrade First On MIM Squier Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, May 3, 2006.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I just picked up this 1995 MIM Squier Jazz and am considering putting on a Bad Ass bridge and possibly changing the pickups.I actually think the pickups sound pretty good besides being a little noisy. So if i'm going to do one upgrade which one will make the most improvement? BTW I own three Musicman basses and wasn't expecting much for $100 but this is really a decent sounding/playing bass. I haven't taken any pics yet but here are a couple blurry ones from the seller..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, I had no idea those were made in Mexico. I remember those Jazzes without a control plate, weren't they called the "traditional series"?

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

whoa... that looks JUST like my jazz!

But mine has no squier logo...

It does have the funky pickguard.

Anyways, for mine I've given her a BA2, a neck pup cover, and i'm putting DiMarzio Model J's into it eventually

4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What do you think the BA2 added to the tone ?

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    a Shield job.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    New strings and maybe a new set of tuners...

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I'd put a Red Hot Chili Pepper's sticker on it. And a tort pickguard.

8. When I installed my BadAss II, I personally couldn't hear an improvement in tone. But I certainly did notice an improvement in sustain.

9. I'd get new pups, a control plate, and a red pearloid pickguard.

10. If you like the sound of the pups, I would go with a BA2 Bridge and have the control cavity shielded to quiet down on the noisy factor...........

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The BAII greatly aids sustain, and adds a bit of clarity to each note, but if sustain isn't a big problem with the stock bridge I wouldn't really worry about it.

IMO, new strings and new pickups will bring the biggest change in tone.

12. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Thanks for the replies.I put new strings on it as soon as I got it home. lowered the action and gave it a good cleaning including 00000 steel wool on the tuners and bridge. It almost looks new, it even had the plastic on the pickguard still. I think it had just been sitting around unplayed for a long time(it was owned by a guitarist). Well the pickups sound pretty good but they are a bit noisy so mabye a shield job is in order(any tips on this would be appreciated) first and new pickups later.I also like the idea of putting on a new pickguard and control plate but i'm wondering if it's going to be hard to get something that will fit on this bass?

13. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    The bad ass bridge is definately something to consider for the future, I've had no exp. with the Bad Ass 2 but I put a Bad Ass 1 on one of my jazzes and there was a noticable improvement on the tone for the better, it added a lot more growl. It does also give it massive amounts of sustain.

I'd also reccommend the J-Retro preamp, I can provide recordings for how much that improves the sound, brings out so much character in the tone and really beefs the whole thing up.

14. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Badass II. Get the acoustic sound of the bass as good as you can first. On my P, it added sustain and helped "focus" the sound of the Estring in a heavy band setting. I actually noticed the difference more in the mix than stand-alone, if that makes any sense. I was planning on a pickup change, but with the BA, I was more than pleased with the sound I ended up with.

15. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Deciding if you want it active or passive may be a good idea. If you want it passive I'd probably get new pots. Also, shield it- theres a how to somewhere on this forum. The bridge should add something, but personally the BA2 isn't THAT great (I have on my flea, maybe I'm just to used to it, but it's really not that phenomial). I'd probably put new knobs on it because I hate plastic knobs. Someone suggested new tuners- a pair of Ultra Lights would be good.

If you just want to be lazy about pickups, EMG has drop in sets you can use just in case you were wondering (all though EMG is not necessarily the best choice if you want to change pups).

16. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The tuners are " licensed by Schaller" and are actually pretty good so they will probably stay.I want to stay passive with this bass.I was thinking Di Marzio Ultra Jazz w/ a push/pull pot for series/parallel.

17. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Here's a couple more pics.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Hey dude, Both of my fenders have the badass II bridge and will always, but for a first upgrade you should def. get some new pickups... Go with something simple like the quarter pounders from sd... I know a couple of guys who would never touch a squire, but they bought some for destroying on stage... They put some seymour duncan quarter pounders in them and i couldnt believe my eyes... No destroyed guitars.. hahahahaha The badass II should def. be considered in the near future though.... good luck dude!

19. Put a Badass II, some vintage reverse tuners I happened to have, and an old SD active pup. The bass I bought for a hundred has another hundred and change in it, but it plays and sounds better than any MIM Standard and most of the MIJ's I've played.

20. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    As far as pickups go. The dimarzion Ultra Jazzes are absolutely great. I have a pair too, and they sound very nice in my MIM jazz. But, another pair (if you wana bust of the dough) would be a nordstrand pair. They are also great pickups, the only pickup I've liked better (jazz) was the Bartolini 9K, and thats only paired with the Demeter Pre. that I prefered it.

Passively- the Ultra jazzes or a pair of nordstrands is a great idea.
    Also- if there is any hiss- I'd re-shield it. The how to is in the pick up forum (in the general must read thing i believe). And again- let me emphasis a change of pots maybe a good idea (not sure how great MIM pots are, or even what kind they are, and its not like they cost an arm and a leg).

Okay, and now you're concerned about your pickguard. Call warmoth or email them, they'll cut you anything (any design, any screws, it's crazy, or atleast I think its them that does it, www.warmoth.com if its not them I apologize. Worst come to worst you'd have send in your present pickguard so they could copy it).

Oh yea- strap locks...
    Hope some of this helped
    Dan