Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What upp.. ! Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jza57, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

I am having serious sticker shock. I was just informed by a very reputable Bass only store that the new street price of an Epi 410 UL is at $1500. Does anyone know why such a huge increase ? Are there any alternative choices in a 410 lightweight cabinets ? I am bummed , I was ready to finally order my first Epi .

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's not $1500 as of a month or two ago. I think the MSRP was $1500 or $1599. Epifani has set pricing system and it comes out to about $1200 street price... Either way, that's no chump change! :eek:

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    From what I hear, the new selling price is $1500.

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Maybe the pricelist they had was out-dated then, but I'm 99% sure it was the 2004 list. Do you know if everything went up or just certain models? If that's everything that increased, I'm glad I got my 210-UL when I did...That's REALLY quite a bit of dough! :eek:

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    It seems Epifani has raised prices pretty large across the board. A new guy Frank has been sending e-mails out to dealers like crazy with changes over the past month. Prices have changed a few times in the past month so I figure once the e-mails slow down I'll call Nick and see what the heck is going on.

But yea, it looks like prices have gone up..... might keep an eye out for old stock dealers have verse new stock ordered at the higher prices............

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Anyone want to buy a practically new 210-UL? I'm asking a mere $900 +shipping of course... :eek: :smug:

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    ;)

Thats $150 off what the new ones are :eek:

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Good gravy! :eyebrow:

I don't know what else to say really...

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yowzers :eek:

So much for a future 6x10 uprgrade. 82lbs... 6 speakers... it seemed like a dream. That's probably all it will be though. I'd have to overhaul my entire speaker setup just for afford the 210UL. I guess I'll just sit on my giant cabs for now and wait for the UL price to simmer down.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like a good time to check out a Schroeder 410. Smaller, just a few pounds heavier, tons of bottom end, just as loud, and a lot less money.

I haven't heard a comparison against the 410 UL, but I know one person with a T310 that is getting ready to replace it with a Schroeder.

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I was thinking the same thing. I was considering going with Epifani, but the high prices put me off. I'd consider a 310UL or two with the old pricing, but any more and I just can't handle it. My 2 1210's will be a lot cheaper than anything Epifani could offer, and will probably be of a similar quality.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you want the best? you pay for the best.

and i say blame Aguilar! next thing you know it, Hartke's will be $1500! :(

13. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The epi is a very nice cab, but its not that nice. Thats too much for a 410!

14. I was quoted AUD$2700 (~US$1900) for a T212-UL a couple of weeks ago.

I'm almost certain I'll be hitting ebay/TB for 2nd hand or ex-demo cabs and importing them when the time comes. New stuff is outrageously priced here.

15. Charles S.

Charles S.

Jun 30, 2004

16. Charles S.

Charles S.

Jun 30, 2004
    It's true, Epifani prices have gone up across the board. It's like anything else these days, if you want the best you are going to have to pay for it. Looka at Walter Woods, Fodera, EBS etc. The prices keep going up but players keep buying the best gear out there! I know Nick E. and I know that his cabs are not cheap to manufacture - he uses the best of the best. I guess some of us will need to save a few more pennies if we want that killer sound!

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wow, just checked out the price on the T-112, I had paid $550 each for mine the current minimum is $750...holy moly!!!!

The Epi web site does list MINIMUM selling prices for all their gear, and $1499 is indeed the price shown for the 410UL.

18. Ahhh, basking in the glow of my $700 / 78 lb. 4x10 Acme's. :D

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Check out the link vanselus put up, and scroll down to the bottom of the page where the sound of the cabs is described. It says the 410 NYC is:

Thick in the Low End
    Balanced & Smooth
    Punchy & Powerful
    Defined Across the Spectrum

and the Ultra Light is:

Fast & Responsive
    Defined, Aggressive in Midrange
    Lightweight
    Clear & Airy

:meh:

I have heard from a few serious pros that you give up way too much low end with neodymium speakers, making the weight "advantage" less desirable. These descriptions seem to reflect that possibility. I have no personal experience with neodymiums, so I'm interested in opinions from those who have tried both. Vanselus?

FWIW, I initially switched from Epifani 310 cabs to an Aguilar 410/210 setup (and eventually 2 112s) because when I blew a speaker in one of the 310s, which I paid $875 for new ($1049 now :eek: ), I was told by Epifani that I'd have to buy a set of three replacement speakers because they were "matched sets". Not being a techie, I was unaware at the time that that was total BS.

I was never unhappy with the sound of the Epifani cabs, just the eventual unsatisfactory result in performance and service. At these prices, complete satisfaction is a must.