Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What video is better?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SKB, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Stu Hamm's first video

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Alexis Sklarevski slap bass video

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Victor wooten at bass day '98

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. other

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. JT's Carrot Special Video

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. SKB

SKB Guest

I wanted to know which video you guys like better.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have seen only Stu Hamm's first video of the ones you mention. It is excellent. I'd also reccommend another video, the blues bass video of Roscoe Beck. Actually, he has two blues bass videos, both of which are very helpful. Dave LaRue has an excellent video also.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My rating:

Sklarevski is the best instructional Video, Wooten is the most inspirational.

Stu's Video is ok (I really like him), but I found that Hotlicks videos have 'sub-average' audio and video quality, at least the PAL version (don't know about NTSC).

4. JT's Carrot Special Video, what a combonation, mullets and carrots...Don't hurt me:rolleyes:

5. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Slap Bass Program, no contest.

6. Is the link I put down below the only place where you can buy this SLAP instruction by Skalaverski? I've only been playing two months. Do you think I should attempt slap now? (I don't want any theory or beginner tapes--I'm taking lessons from a teacher, so I already get enough of that.)

This video tape costs $50! Know anywhere I can get it for less?

Skalaverski

7. SKB

SKB Guest

I just got Alexis' Slap Bass program yesterday. A lot of it was stuff that I already knew, but the stuff at the end, whoa. I payed $50 for it. I guess it was worth it because I don't know where else I would learn that tight stuff.:)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Another vote for Sklarevsky. It's one of the best structured videos I've ever seen.

Rocco Prestia's "Fingerstyle Funk" is also pretty good. Video Progressions has good stuff.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Anyone else here think that Stu is either drunk or hung-over on that video?? Next time you watch it notice his body motions and the way he slurs at certain times...

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of drunk or whatever, did anyone watch the Flea video... my god, River and Flea were so high when they made that. Hiiiiiiiilarious.

11. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I have only 3 videos:

The Flea and River Phoenix one: Entertaining!
    Billy Sheehan's Bass Secrets w/ Wolf Marshall: Informative!!!
    John Myung Progressive Bass Concepts: Zzzzzzzzzzzzz... *snort* Huh? :oops:

Of the three, if I lost them I think I'd go out and get another copy of the Billy Sheehan vid. John Myung's might be more helpful if I were trying to play a 6, but it is too much of a headache for me to make the transition from watching/hearing his tape and applying it to my 4 string.
    I actually have lost the Flea one. I hope it turns up.