1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What "vintage" is this Mesa 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Oct 24, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

[​IMG]

it's at my local guitar shop. Their site doesn't have any specs. How can I get specs for it?

2. Not sure of the "vintage" on it, but it's a Deisel series cab.

Speakers don't look right though - it's supposed to be loaded with EV 10's, and at the least the right speaker is a mismatch.

3. BillJarrett

BillJarrett

Jul 25, 2010
    Jensen Beach, Florida
    Manager, Jam Music
    Right speaker appears to be a newer replacement. Looks like what is shipping in Mesa's current line of cabinets.

4. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yeah miss matched drivers big no no. Also i bet (granted i have not tried) some of the newer mesa stuff prolly does a better job then that particular cab. I put that series against a peavey 210 and the peavey slayed it.

5. Queg

Queg

Nov 20, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    It should indicate on the jack plate that it's rated at 400w/8ohms. But considering the right side driver is an obvious replacement, original spec is no longer valid anyway. If seriously interested, I'd ask the shop to open it up and identify the drivers. I was informed by Mesa that their new 10's won't fit the Diesel series cabs without baffle routing/modification. Apparently the original EV's had a smaller mounting diameter?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to what's been said already, it's a Deisel series cab, (love the 15's), but has a replacement spkr in it, which would end my interest in that cab right away.

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    That actually looks a lot like an Eden XLT speaker.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Yeah, I just wanted to know what year these came out/what model it is. It's plainly obvious that the speakers are different. I'm just curious and looking around, not too serious about it....

thanks!

9. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Also looks like a fender emi.

10. I think you are correct. I had one of those cabs (mid 90's) and it came from Mesa with Eden speakers in it.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes, I have this one with Eden speakers in it:

trace.

Very nice sounding speakers. Very heavy cab, as is the Mesa 400+ head that goes with it (not in picture).

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That is an early to mid 90's Diesel 2x10 cab.

Yeah by that time many of those cabs were coming with Eden 10's as standard issue.

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    90s Diesel with one EV speaker. Is the other one a PAS or Eden?

14. PAS- Piece a .... ?? Or Pro Audio Systems? or...

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    PAS, I believe they were the OEM to SWR for a while.

16. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I wouldn't hate it for having mismatched speakers, guitar players mismatch speakers on purpose and it can turn out great. If it's a good price and it sounds good, why not?

17. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Mar 5, 2010
    Flea used to use 3 of those Mesa 2x10 with 3 Mesa 2x15 all through the 1990's and early 2000's.
    That's when his bass sounded the best, IMO.
    Good cab.