1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what was "Babel" about?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by marcray, Mar 10, 2008.

1. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I don't much go to movies unless it's less than PG-13 (kid) and I under use my Blockbuster.com service..., so this weekend I got to watch "Babel" on TV... I enjoyed it, well acted, cool stories, it was scary and moving, but, what was it about? I've an idea, but what's your opinion?

2. The way I saw it, Babel was commentary on the roles that language and (lack of) communication play in the world that we live in.

I thought it was a well made movie, but not terribly enjoyable.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think it ties into miscommunication. Not totally familiar with the story of Babel, but I do recall that it had something to do with the people that tried to build a tower to heaven were punished by having their language fractured into so many different languages that they couldn't communicate with each other. There are different stories of common human experiences that to us, the viewer, is readily apparent, but because of language and cultural barriers these experience aren't easily communicated to those involved. So it's kind of like a glimpse into the state of the tribe after it's tower of babel has been knocked down and it's language has been fractured. At least that's what I got out of it.