Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was HOT at NAMM?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jan 18, 2004.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Any amplifiers or Pre-Amps stand out as extra special at NAMM this year? Would to hear from NAMM attendees.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    bump. I know someone had to of gone.

~Patrick

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The Glockenlang stuff sounded so damn sweet. Trip was demoing them so that helped. The MTD booth was rather nice. Mesa Boogie had 2 bass amps out really lame. They had 500 guitar amps out so I guess you know where they are going. The booth that I didn't see was the SWR booth. Not many had new stuff.

Spector had it's new Legend series basses and they are sweet. Affordable PJ setups and one with a J/Humbucker setup. They sounded great and felt really nice. Now everybody will be able to afford a quality bass for under $800.

The Aguilar booth had to many people in it all the time for me to want to venture into it.

It was all about the Dean Markley booth! They had a room that they had live performances in. On Saturday T.M. Stevens, Quentin Berry, Norwood and a couple of others I didn't recognize had a Bass jam and it smoked. Quentin stole the show by the way.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks for the info Firkin. I hope other's chime in with their reports as well. I'd love to hear more about EA amps, Thunderfunk Amps, Bergantino's/Benavente basses, Nordstrand Basses and who knows what else.

Would love to check out those new Spectors. Will keep an eye out for them.

Never heard of Quentin Berry? Who is he and who does he play with?

That might be because SWR was bought by Fender. Hmmm?

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Check this out: http://www.spectorbass.com/NewFiles/webmovies.html

I saw the EA booth and it was packed as well. The fender booth was pretty much the whole second floor so that is probably why I didn't see the SWR booth.

The accugroove stuff was really nice, nothing new though. The EDEN 1-12 was on display and it sounded phenom.

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    A closer look would show the following. We shaved 20% of the weight off of half our cabinet line with lightweight wood & custom neodymium speakers. Plus, we introduced new cabinets.

* Tri 110L 300 watts @ 34 lbs. (1x10)
    * Tri 112L 400 watts @ 44 lbs. (1x12)
    * Whappo Jr.L 800 watts @ 74 lbs. (2x12)

& after 3 longs years we finally have......

* Tri 210L 600 watts @ 57 lbs. (2x10)

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

7. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Hey Whappo Grande

to you have more detail of those new cabs? The Accugroove site hasn't been updated...

please... help!:)
    PL

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes Mark I would like some details on the Tri 210L as well! Interesting, I think my mind was such a blur when I first showed up...I should have come back more towards the end of the day to really look at some stuff.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, that Quentin Berry is just frikkin' sick! That's the first time I've seen him hold his bass the traditional way!

10. E.M.

E.M.

Dec 7, 2003

I second that!! Trip recently did a clinic in my location. This is one of the best rigs I've heard. Won a free CD too!

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Our web guy is trying to update it as we speak...sorry. I hope this is the info you were asking for.

Mark

With the newly designed Tri series we have been able to shave off 20% of the weight special lightweight woods & custom neodymium woofers & tweeters.. They are all 3-way design cabinets (the Jr. is a 4-way) with a 6” upper-midrange speaker & 2 tweeters. There is NO hiss in the highs at all.

The basic specs are below, but the real kicker is that they will easily replace a speaker twice its size.

The Tri 210L is the most difficult cabinet we have ever built. It's taken over 3 years of non-stop hard work & testing to get this box ready for release. It was the very first cabinet we ever designed, but I never felt comfortable making it available until it was perfect.
    • 2 - 10” Neo Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames
    • 1 - 6” Mid Range & 2 - Soft Textile Dome Tweeters w/ attenuators
    • 2 Speakons & 2– 1/4” jacks & Removable 2” Pop-in Casters included
    • Freq. Re. & SPL: 40 Hz - 18 kHz (34 Hz@-6db) 103 dB SPL
    • Dimensions: 21 ¼”H x 24 ¾”W x 18 ¼”D — Weight: 57 lbs.
    • Power Rating: 600 watts RMS at Both 4 & 8 Ohms w/ AccuSwitch

Tri 110L (1x10)
    • 1 - 10” Neo Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames
    • 2 Speakons & 2– 1/4” jacks
    • Freq. Re. & SPL: 43 Hz - 18 kHz (37 Hz@-6db) 100 dB SPL
    • Dimensions: 15 ½” W x 21 ¼”H x 17 ¼”D — Weight: 34 lbs.
    • Power Rating: 300 watts RMS at 8 Ohms

Tri 112L (1x12)
    • 1 - 12” Neo Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames
    • 2 Speakons & 2– 1/4” jacks
    • Freq. Re. & SPL: 39 Hz - 18 kHz (36 Hz@-6db) 100 dB SPL
    • Dimensions: 16 ½” W x 21 ¼”H x 17 ¼”D — Weight: 44 lbs
    • Power Rating: 400 watts RMS at 8 Ohms

Whappo Jr.L (2x12)
    • 1 - 12” Neo Sub Woofer & 1– 12” Extreme Woofer with die-cast aluminum frames
    • 2 Speakons & 2– 1/4” jacks & Removable 2 ½” Pop-in Casters included
    • Freq. Re. & SPL: 39 Hz - 18 kHz (33 Hz@-6db) 102 dB SPL
    • Dimensions: 27 ¾ H x 24 ¾ W x 17 ¾ D - Weight: 74 lbs.
    • Power Rating: 800 watts RMS at 4 & 8 Ohms w/ AccuSwitch

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Did anyone grab pics of the tri 210 at the show?

13. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    The top two cabs on the right are the new Tri 210L.

Bottom Right is the Whappo Grande, bottom middle is El Whappo & the two on the left are Bill's Signature cabs. (That's Stew talking with Bill Dickens)

Let me know if you want more photos.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

[​IMG]

14. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    thanks for the info Mark, it's rea;;y appreciated.

One thing puzzles me though; how come the tri210L as the same frequecy response and SPL as the tri110? Since the woofer surface as been doubled, either the frequence responce should be a bit lower or the SPL should be raised by 3dB. Is my question valid or am I missing something?

thanks
    PL

15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Duh...does it show that I'm still running sleep deficit from the NAMM show? Sorry about that.

Correction:
    Freq. Re. & SPL: 40 Hz - 18 kHz (34 Hz@-6db) 103 dB SPL

[​IMG]

16. d'oh!!

:eek:

17. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    thanks for the correction. Makes for a much more impressive cab like this!

thanks again
    PL

18. I was knocked out by the sound of Jim Bergantino's vintage style 215 cab with a 6" mid/treble driver. It had a big big punchy sound, and was manageable for a 215 w/tiltback wheels. It would kill with a Mesa 400+ (or SVT) and a P-bass. The price was very right on it, too.

Jim also had a new preamp in a tiny box with just a gain knob designed to run between a bass and a power amp. It sounded great, and would do the job if you don't need tone knobs or other gadgets.

Rick Turner / Seymour Duncan had 3 nice mixer/eq type boxes similar to the Raven Labs units with more bells & whistles.

I came home with a one of a kind MTD P bass 535 with a custom vintage wound Bart P pickup and passive volume & treble cut. I'll be thumpin in style!

[​IMG]

Here I am with it, along with Mike Dimin & Steve Barr outside the MTD & EA booths. (tnx photo, Dude)

Epifany had a line of SS preamps, heads & power amps that looked cool and were priced high.

Lots of companies were showing lightweight switching power amps that looked like PLX knockoffs, and many powered speakers that looked like the Mackies and EONs.

Aloha,

Jonathan

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Aloha Jonathan, it was great to see you at NAMM. Nice score on the 535 MTD P bass; I've never seen one like it before, a real beauty.

Jim Bergantino was right around the corner from my booth so we had some great talks over the 5 days. I told him to keep me abreast on his DI box so I could recommend it when it becomes available.

Chris Benavente & Brian Barrett where in the same booth as Jim which made it covenant for us to gab as well. Chris makes some incredible instruments, but they where keeping a close eye on me & I couldn’t sneak off with any; maybe next time.

I felt very fortunate having these gentlemen close by; they all work very hard & do a great job with their crafts.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

20. there was already a thread about it, but my employer introduced a 1600W 2U head called the Pro 1600.

it's worth checking out.

robb.