Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G-Man, Aug 11, 2005.

1. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    I thought it would be interesting to hear about "the one that got away". We bassists sometimes get GAS so bad that we do really stupid things and sell equipment that we later really regret. Or maybe something you had in the past that would be worth a small fortune now.

The two that come to mind from my past was the day I sold a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 to buy an Ibanez Roadstar :eek: . Granted this was in 1979, but I can look back now and say "What was I thinking?"

The other wasn't a bass but has to be the stupidest thing I've ever done equipment wise. In 1976 a friend sold me a pristine 1964 Gibson ES-335 for $100. (Even then it was probably worth $600.) and six months later a GAS attack had me selling it for the same $100 :bawl: . "What was I thinking?"

I could try to argue that since both of these incidents took place in the '70s that I got "smarter" as I got older, but it's not true. When I get GAS I still do stupid things, just nothing quite as memorable at the 2 mentioned above.

GAS can be a terrible thing!

2. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Ampeg Baby Bass, '64 or so SG, BF Bassman,

Wesley R.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Smith CR5G.
    3 knob, flame maple top, mahogny core, had 1/8/?? on the inside of the control cavity cover-which is also my birthday.

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    My second Rickenbacker, a 4003 with walnut finish, black binding and pickguard was sold for no good reason at all. (I was only 18). It was the best looking 4003 I've ever seen. My third ric, a 4003 natural, black trim and guard was sold due to my moving to 5's. Dumb. An Ampeg 810 that I got new and cheap. It went during one of my "non playing" periods because it took up so much space. Lastly, and one I did not buy at the time was a new bass at GC 5-6 mos. ago. It was a 5 string Musicman bass with a weird name... "BONGO". I had never heard of it but gave it a quick look, and thought to myself. "pretty nice for 499". Wasn't in the market and didn't give it a second thought. Until I bought one last month at twice the price! :rolleyes: Randy

5. BC Rich Warlock - sold it to my cousin when I wasn't listening to anything but jungle and drum n' bass. Bought some turntables etc., and I still have and use them but I sure wish I had it. Now I've just got a Squire as it's all I could afford.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    "63-'64 Jazz Bass
    Mid '60s ES 335
    '69 Precision

I don't want to talk about it anymore (sob).

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im lucky enough to be an equipment whore and havent been playing long enough to make any of these mistakes. The only thing I've bought and later sold was an Ampeg B-100R Combo. I dont think I'll miss that down the road lol.

I doubt I will ever sell my Dingwall, and certainly not my old GSR200 I de-fretted. I've started trying to get it autographed by folks, so it still has a lot of sentimental value, and isnt worth selling anyhow hehe.

If you ever see me post my Dingwall for sale for any reason, just smack the crap outta me will ya?? I've done the same for others (John hehe).

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The three most egregious cases of GAS stupidity in my life were when I sold my first good bass, a Rickenbacker 4000, when I sold a natural finish, maple fingerboard Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray that I got for $250, and when I sold my Ken Smith 6 because I thought a friend of mine bragged on Ken Smiths too much. A close second was when I traded away a perfectly good SR5 to get a Modulus Quantum 5 that I needed like a hole in my head.

GAS is something that I know I cannot shake, I feel like someone in a twelve step program because no matter how much I like my basses, I know I will always be tempted by the one I don't have. :(

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    When I was looking to get my first "real" bass (which ended up being my much loved Gibson Thunderbird), I was going to sell my old bass, which was an attempt by a low end company (Lotus) to build a higher end bass. It is made from one (possibly two) pieces of what I think is mahogany (body, neck, headstock are all one piece). A friend/musician whom I respect just gave me a look and sell, "you never sell and instrument", so I didn't. Years later, I still enjoy breaking out my first bass (which has since been upgraded significantly), and I am glad that I listened to this advice. It isn't worth a dime to anyone else, but it holds much value for me.

Later, Tom.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Whew! Had me worried for a minute, Tom! I thought you were going to tell us you had actually sold something. ;)

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm working myself up to do just that, but anything with strings on it stays! :p

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Your a good man Charlie Brown :)

14. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Oh, Great! Now when I'm bucks down you'll probably be selling something I'll want!

15. There are lots that I would love to have back, but fortunately not so many ridiculous "what was I thinking" sales/trades. One was a beautiful 70's fireglow Rick 4001 that my wife had gotten me for my birthday(!) which I ended up trading for an Ibanez Musician in need of a fretjob because I had some notion that I needed 24 frets and active electronics. D'oh!

Mike

16. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    We all have such stories, myself included. But as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that after all, it's just STUFF. Going through the house of a deceased relative who was a pack rat made that very clear. There were mountains of once-prized posessions that wound up sitting in a closet for years and years, unused and unregarded, now worthless.

My sister is up to her eyeballs in debt, and lives in a tiny studio in Manhattan. She can barely afford to pay her bills. Yet she pays for a storage space to hold all the STUFF that she just can't let go of. She never goes out there. She will never use any of it. She has no room for it in her apartment. But she just can't let go! I scratch my head and wonder what the point of it all is.

What's truly important is experiences and memories, not posessions.

Over the years I've owned some pretty cool things. But one day I was in my garage and found a certain item that I had not seen, used or even thought about for years. It was just sitting there taking up space.

Now I have a loose, informal rule: If I don't use a toy for a year, then it's time to pass it along to someone who will get more enjoyment out of it than I do. I don't own things just to own them. I own them to use them. No use, no point in owning.

If you decide that a guitar (or anything else) should be let go of, have a good reason for unloading it. And once you do, don't look back. You can *always* acquire more STUFF. There are more beautiful, sweet objects out there than any of us can possibly use or appreciate in a lifetime.

Live for today. Use what you've got as best you're able and get the most enjoyment you can out of it. No regrets.

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I sold my dad's old 1962 Austin Healey. It was really, REALLY, beatup (sitting in an old wooden garage for maybe 10 years). It would have taken years, and thousands of dollars to fix up.

BUT I wish I had kept it. If I ever come across $75,000, I'm going to buy a fully restored one (British Racing Green).

18. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    AMEN. Well put. +1,000.

19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I sold a Gibson Thunderbird 1976 Bicentennial, for profit reasons and because it was a promise made to my other half... but still miss the Bass !

I sold a Rickenbacker 4001V63 year 1988 for what reason again?? I do not want to remember !!!! But, I am more happy now that I acquired a Rickenbacker 4001V63 year 1993, and yes, in the same colour as my 1988.... mapleglo !!!! I do prefer my 1993, so after all, it was a good "stupid" move.

I sold my Peavey T-Max Bass head to get myself an EDEN WT-800 that started my long quest for a good rig thereafter !!! I have had so much reliability problems with the EDEN that I don't even want to explain ( weird, I know, but it's my experience with the EDEN brand ) Finally, I ended up with a SUNN 300T which I love !!!! But, these Peavey T-Max heads were simply awesome !