What was/is your college major and why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Just like to get some info before I start college next fall :)
  2. General Curriculum, because I'm indecisive. At least, I think I'm indecisive...

3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Law - because I wanted to become a lawyer - and did :)

Almost forgot - I also have an Arts degree majoring in Philosophy (ethics & metaethics :) - minors in psychology and sociology. (I dont get to use those much working as a tax / pensions lawyer :) )
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I have a Bachelors in Fine Arts and my major was Painting. It's both what I love and what I do best.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Starting next fall, I will be going for a Batchelor of Music in Music Education.

Why? I love music. I love playing it, hearing it, and teaching it. So... why not?
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Architectural Acoustics.

Why? The market for recording engineers, which is what I started with, ain't that great. And I likes my physics.
  7. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    On my way to a Bachelors in English with teacher certification. I love literature, I love to write, I love to teach, and I'm picky about grammar. I hope to work my way to a Ph.D., probably while teaching, so that I can teach at the university level and be paid decently for it.
  8. i want to get a BA in rhetoric.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Construction Engineering.

What can I say, I like building(s) and the school has great double degree pan-European exchange program which gets me both Finnish construction engineer degree and bachelor of architectural technology and construction management.

After that it's off to univ to complete the degree into an architects and for some misc studies in biology and human sciences, so I see this degree as a sort of a middle goal :bassist:
  10. ill be double majoring in jazz studies and mechanical engineering* at the university of south carolina this coming fall. cant wait for college!

*previously it was going to be jazz studies and physics, changed mind though.
  11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Currently I'm a "general" Music major. I'm seriously contemplating going the music education route. I mean, what cooler teacher is there than music teacher? I guess my mom and I DO have a lot in common (she's a 3rd grade teacher).
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Considering a BS in Neuroscience. Not sure though. Whatever it is, I'll have a medical humanities minor as well.
  13. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I'm a Chemical Engineering major. I'll graduate at the end of this semester. I chose chemical engineering because chemistry was my favorite subject in High School, but I didn't go for a chemistry degree because there are very few jobs for people with BS degrees in chemistry. With chemical engineering I can expect to make $60,000/yr straight out of college, although I think I'm going to graduate school for the hell of it. Not bad for a 21 year old. :D
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Philosophy - because I like a good argument!! ;)
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

The most radical understatement of the millenium. :smug:
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think you mean a B.S. ;)
  17. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I am double majoring in Music and Communication Dissorders. I am a voice major with bass as a secondary instrument (Even though I've done more bass playing recently). I was going to get a third degree in french at one time but I decided that was a bit much.

I will get my masters in music more than likely because i'll be able to get an assistantship singing somewhere much more easily than with a speech degree
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Electrical Engineering because I wanted to lose my job to someone in India or Russia :meh:

Some advice: since you will have to take some humanities electives no matter what degree you go for, look into what music courses are offered at your school. I took some classical theory courses and also group piano classes (meant for music majors whose main axe was not piano). I wish I had taken solfege ("sight singing"...combines ear training with sight reading) as well.

One co-worker of mine even got a minor in music along with his EE major.
  19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Photography, because I wanted to be a photographer. Now I'm a photographer at the national gallery of art.
    Click click, nudge nudge, wink wink. :D
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gonna get me a Masters in Disaster and a PhD in PAIN!

(I have no idea what that's from, but it's the first thing that spings to mind whenever anyone asks that question...)

I honestly have no idea. I'm just doing general studies now, getting my associates out of the way while I search for something worth pursuing.