Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was Ragatal

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 9, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I know I bought the cd because Steve plays on it but I though he was just a session player Jason Carter wanted but it seems like he was part of a band or something along those lines.

Care to fill us in Steve?

Were you part of the band?

What happened to them?

So on and so on

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Steve,

Ragatal was originally a project formed by Nick Beggs on Stick and Jason on guitar. They got Steve Bingham and Sanju Sahai involved and did one gig (which I was at - it was fantastic). Soon after that, Nick got way too busy with his session and touring commitments to work with a band, and I met up with Jason and was asked to step in. We did a couple of gigs in London and Oxford, and then went into the studio - the project was actually Jason's, it's him who had the deal with ARC music etc. and we were paid as session musicians for it, though the group was effectively a group.

We have since gigged sporadically - we did a great show at the Turner Simms Theatre in Southampton, augmented by Sitar and a couple of indian percussionists, and have also played as a trio, with either me or Steve Bingham missing...

It's an ongoing thing - I think they may also have done some more dates at some point with Nick Beggs, and I know Nick has collaborated further with Jason since.

I'm hoping to do some duo stuff with Sanju at some point - he's the musician most in touch with his instrument that I've ever played with - it's as natural as breathing, and a huge inspiration to be around!

there you go... :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net