What was Schaller thinking?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Modulus 96, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Modulus 96

Modulus 96 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Been a long time schaller user and finally needed new strap locks so bought a new Schaller set. I noticed that the screw is now integrated with the strap button ... Didn't think anything of it. Now, while I am playing the screw / button piece keeps backing out. I'm guessing that that didn't happen previously because the button was seperate, so it's was free to rotate and would never cause the screw to back out. I was able to find the older style buttons on reverb and used them instead, problem solved. I wonder why they made that move, surely I can't be the only person experiencing this.

I tried dropping some wood glue in the screw which worked for a day, but then the screw started backing out again. I eventually had to drop wood glue and toothpicks in the hole to fix damage done since the the"new style" screw/button (new to me) was larger and not fully threaded - it removed the first few threads in the upper horn's strap button hole and constantly tightening the screwbutton was stripping threads.

Am totally a fan of the schaller style but why this fail? Anyone else have a solution?

(Will not go to Dunlop plunger-style strap locks)

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  2. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    The new S locks will work perfectly fine with the old Schaller buttons, so you might install those once you have the hole sorted out.

Vinny_G likes this.
  3. Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    I guess I didn't specify - the s locks are the problem. I wanted to put the strap buttons on a new bass but as I said, the screw and the strap button are now one piece, and it won't stay in, it backs out. But, I did find older still strap buttons that are seperate from the screws.

I guess I don't see how the integrated screw and strap button are an improvement.

4. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    The new bits that go on the strap go fine with the old bits that you put a screw through into the body.:D

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Especially since the screws are always too small on Schaller system, so that you end replacing them with bigger ones and need to drill the button hole bigger.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Everybody's case is different, I guess. My experience has been the exact opposite of yours. When I had the old 2-piece strap buttons, the screws would loosen all the time, and the knob would get wobbly. (BTW, the knobs were never designed to "rotate freely" AFAIK. Theyw ere designed to ve fixed solidly to the bass.) Now that I have the new 1-piece screw-button assemblies, that NEVER happens. So they're a clear improvement for me.

IMO the part that attaches to the strap is also noticeably better with the new system. The system for locking it to the strap is worlds better now. It also seems, though this may be subjective, to move more smoothly around the knob. I wonder if they subtly changed the machining on that part. Are you using the new attachments on your strap too?

YMMV

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Vinny_G likes this.
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have run into situations where the hole in the bass is too big for the Schaller screw, but it's really not an issue. A toothpick and some wood glue will make the Shaller screw fit perfectly.

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Hmmm... Actually, no, I'm not. The part on the strap is from the original strap locks from years ago.... Maybe theres something to that.

9. ewarren88

ewarren88

Nov 21, 2002
    Medina, OH
    I had the same issue with the new Schaller locks on a Precision. The screws threaded right in and felt plenty snug. But the strap end somehow gradually ratcheted the screw on the horn, loosening it and backing it out. I lucked out the first time in that it didn’t get far enough to totally fail at the first gig. Then I kept an eye on it. Never had an issue with the screw at the end pin location.

I tried a little wood glue and it still came free eventually. Then I went back with a healthier dose of wood glue and it stayed put for the past 15 or so gigs.

Seemed to me that OP’s assessment was true - the old design allowed the button to rotate such that the screw could stay in place. Now that the button and screw are one piece, any rotation actually backs it out.

You might also try a squirt of silicone spray on the u-shaped strap end. (I used to do this on the old ones to fight the squeaking.) If the strap end can’t grab the post as easily, it shouldn’t be able to apply torque to twist the screw.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you using the new strap attachments too? No criticism implied, just curious because I've been using the new Schaller system on all my basses for months now and have been nothing but delighted by how they're better for me in every respect--including staying screwed in better.

I admit to being a little bit puzzled by the bit about the button rotating being desirable. The buttons were never designed to rotate AFAIK. To me, rotation was a sign that the screw was already too loose. But YMMV, and clearly does.

Vinny_G likes this.
  11. ewarren88

ewarren88

Nov 21, 2002
    Medina, OH
    No offense taken!

I did use the new strap ends along with the new screws.

I should have also mentioned that I have another set of the new Schaller locks on a Sadowsky Metro. I’ve found no rotation issue with those. So maybe it has something to do with the particular threads cut by the original Fender screws? That bass is a 2003 Highway 1 Precision, for what it’s worth.

12. Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Silicone is a good thought.

I don't think the older sets had buttons that were "designed" to rotate.... Sometimes a design works because it does, and whatever advantage it might have among it's components isn't known until you decide to change something.

13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Never had that issue and I mix and match. I just use a toothpick and screw the buttons tight in all cases. The button shouldn’t be loose enough to rotate.

Vinny_G likes this.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You may be onto something there. I've only ever used Schallers on basses drilled for them from the beginning.

15. Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    ^^ Agree with the above

16. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    I’ve got a baggie full of the old style Schallers but only use them on my 4001 now. Guess I should put them in the classifieds.

17. Dunlop, Dunlop, Dunop!!

18. Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    And have one of my basses hit the floor? No thanks.