Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what was that instrument

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Feb 3, 2004.

1. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I just channel surfed past Emeril Live, and Doc Gibbs was playing a really cool instrument that I haven't seen before. It looked like a small hand held timbale - it was made of steel with a drum head on it. Unlike a timbale the diameter of the thing was probably about 8 inches. He held it in his right hand, also using that hand to press the skin of the drum(?) to change the pitch of the instrument, and he had his other hand inside the thing - that was the hand that actually made the sound. As he moved that hand back and forth inside this thing it made a high pitched sound.... the rythym was similar to a dj scratch. The sound was sort of a high pitched squeak like you were polishing something too hard. Totally cool..... Can anybody tell me what the heck that thing is called??

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Maybe a tabla?

3. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I don't think so. Judging by my brief internet search, a tabla would be played like a djembe, no? A hand drum?

He actually had his hand inside this thing. He was either pulling on something in it, or rubbing something against the inside of it....

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
  5. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Doc Gibbs & the Emeril Live Band... they are the reason I started to watch that show

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think they call it a "Miscellaneous."

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH

Definitely a good reason to sit in front of the TV :D