Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was that woodcrafters router jig.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 4, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A while back somebody posted a jig that was for a router that would allow you to cut out a hole, remove a bering and then cut out a perfect cover for the hole. I think it was sold at Woodcrafters. I was just on their site but I don't know what it was called so I can't find it. :help: Thanks.....tom

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
  3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    YOU DA MAN! :hyper: I was thinking about using it to make control cavity cut outs and covers. What do you think it would work for that wouldn't it? ..t

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Looking at the description this won't work on all routers?

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I have no idea, man. I've seen it in the store. I'm not real sure how the heck it works, I guess that's why I haven't bought it yet, but I always check it out when I'm in there. :eyebrow:

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Just picked one up. I hope to check it out in the next few days. Picked up my Walnut bass from Bass Central too off to jam with it....t

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    lemme know how it works for ya. You can send PM if you like.

8. I just use my binding ledge cutter to add nice ledge to my cavity. The width of that ledge is determined by which bearing I use under the cutter. I've made my cover template the proper size to fit the widest ledge size. It just drops in.

9. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Just checked it out with my router and laminate trimmer. It won't work with either of them. It seems it is made for specific routers ...t :spit:

10. I'm about to order one of these. Apparently it only works with Porter Cable routers. Luckily I just bought a sweet new Porter Cable router a few days ago. I'll let you know how it works.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Excellent. I had high hopes for it I am hoping there is an adapter.t

12. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That's the tool I use to make my inlayed fake pickguards. If you're going to use it to make control cavity recesses and covers you'll have to trim the cover so you'll be able to remove it. It makes pressed fit inlays that are *very* tight.

13. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    excellent bud. What router do you have?

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Porter Cable. :D

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Not having much luck finding an adapter plate for my "skill" router.t :scowl:

16. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Hmmmm, I wonder if this guy would work with my DeWalt router? It's not listed, but this thing could be awesome to play with!

17. I called Skil and was told they don't have a Porter Cable collet adaptor. I think Dewalt makes one.