1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was the best '80's hair band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Loose Cannon, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri
    Guess I'm just showing my age, but god, I miss the old hair bands. Amazing guitar solos - drummers beating the heck out of their kits, vocals that could shatter glass.... guess it just seemed everyone tried harder to make good music. Although I know some real crap came out of that era, some of it was stuff that is still great to listen to. :bassist:

I'm still partial to Lillian Axe; what was your favorite?

2. I actually liked the music but could't stand most of the singers. Uncle Tom's Cabin had such a great guitar riff.

I kinda liked Ratt.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ratt was cool... they came to mind first for me.

Dokken was cool

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    PANTERA!!!

[​IMG]

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    There are too many to list.

Iron Maiden
    Ratt
    Dokken
    Y&T
    Queensryche
    Quiet Riot
    Van Halen
    Extreme
    Tesla
    Judas Priest
    Tora Tora

I agree with fenderhutz that Uncle Tom's Cabin was a pretty good song.

I really loved Accept. To me, their sound really defined metal tone. Most people remember Balls to the Wall, but Midnight Mover was a great song. Peter Baltes defined the metal tone to my ears. If you listen to the beginning of the second verse, you can hear that P-bass/Peavey Classic 400 combination. Those power tubes are working overtime!

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have a question concerning Pantera. I never followed them, but recently saw a documentary (maybe Behind The Music?) The guy that shot "Dimebag," shouldn't he have been pissed at that goofy lead singer? Seemed to me, they were tired of waiting around for him and just wanted to play.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    First off, the shooter was a complete douchebag. Second, Phil was dragging his feet and I don't blame Dime and Vinny for moving on.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Oh yeah, the guy was whacked out.

9. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri
    Yeah, I actually saw Ratt on their "Invasion of your Privacy" tour. It was Juan Croucier's bass solo that became one of my influences to learn bass. They appeared with Bon Jovi -("7800 degree Farenheit") tour and Bon Jovi blew them away with little more than a better attitude.

10. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Howcome they never got any flack for this? Shouldn't they have been labeled "posers" only reverse? LOL

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I really liked Ratt, but I agree that everytime I saw them live, the opening act blew them off the stage.

12. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri
    James Hart... you bring tears to my eyes...

Zebra... and H.S.A.S.....I didn't think anyone remembered

Saw Zebra with somebody (? I'll think of it in a minute) open for REO.

Saw Dokken open for Loverboy (oh, the shame :bawl: )

13. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Skid Row
    White Lion
    Y&T
    W.A.S.P.
    Blue Murder
    Whitesnake
    Quiet Riot

Pantera always got flack for the "Diamond" Darrell days...guess they had the chops to pull off the heavier stuff...I was glad when they did.

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I remember all the (excuse me for this) "buzz" around them. Their videos were pure Velveeta (so were alot of others though.)

15. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon

Feb 12, 2007
    Missouri

Oh, yeah... When I saw them, Bon Jovi had the crowd thinking it was OK to throw things up on the stage. I mean, there were enough panties and bras on his mike stand to keep most girls supplied thoughout their teen years.:D

When Ratt played...well someone hit Stephen Pearcy in the jewels with a lighter and he came unglued. "We normally play for an hour and a half, but if you don't quit throwing this s**t up here, we're leaving now!!!"

Well, what more can be said.....

16. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    Does anybody remember Pretty Boy Floyd?

I had their cassette, Leather Boys with Electric Toys.

Sooo fun.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For me: Motley Crue.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey you started the thread :)

I never saw HSAS or Zebra in person, but I recently tracked down HSAS on CD to replace my missing cassette. They are one band that I wished stuck it out a few releases. Neil and Sammy blended well... and Kenny's super compressed tone really got to me back in the day. I did catch Kingdom Come, Dokken and Ratt live though.

I was a Metalhead pre Hair Band days.... but the lack of talent in the Bassists of the genre moved me on to other things. Outside of some Grunge stuff, I ignored most post 1985 metal until Tool and Helmet hit the scene.

back on topic.... Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner fronted) was always a favorite too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UtnGpO22ww0
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=fKagFZyoIIc
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Ha_7QzjPwQ

19. Saw this band for free once... didn't even know who there were, as someone had to point that out to me after the fact. (who ever knows ANY the band names that play in military clubs?) But after seeing "Uncle Milton" in two of their MTV videos, I starting looking for a differant perspective in "serious" hair bands.. :D

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Twisted Sister