1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was the best bass you ever played? Did you buy it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoratioMumbles, Nov 30, 2020.

1. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    The best bass I've ever played was a MIM fretless Fender Jazz. Must've been made on a good day because it's a real gem. And yes, I bought it.
    IMG_1242[920].jpg

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I played a brand new Fireglo Ric 4003, back in 1990, and it played like butter. I couldn't afford it then, and I haven't played a Ric since that feels like that one did!

teh-slb and JoratioMumbles like this.
  3. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Defining “best” as the best compromise (most good things and the least bad things), that would be my Carvin Brian Bromberg 5 string fretless (R.I.P. 1yr ago this summer). It only had one drawback, which was it didn’t sound that great. Mine had older humbuckers in it and was a little on the thin side tone-wise. Everything else about it was overall better than anything else I’ve played, before or since.

don’t know if I’ll get another but if I do it’ll be a 4 string this time.

L

gebass6, teh-slb and JoratioMumbles like this.
  4. Yes, I bought these AMAZING instruments: My EBMM Sterling; EBMM Stingray; Steinberger XL2A; and my G&L LB100.

My big regret was not taking my buddy’s early ’60’s P Bass off his hands for a meagre $200-$250... I could have bought his early’60’s Tele off him too—and probably would’ve got a two for one special too! But alas, I was young,poor and not in possession of a crystal ball...

5. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    An Acacia 5 String by Matt Friedman that had Lane Poor pickups and a Demeter preamp at the NAMM show.
    It was already sold and Matt got out of the business sometime afterwards.

AudioTaper and JoratioMumbles like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, but I didn't know it was the best until it showed up via FedEx.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Many years ago I played a Modulus at Mars Music (now defunct). I did not buy it. Way out of my price range. Best sounding and playing bass I ever picked up.

8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    This '59/60 I first played about 42 years ago. Been playing it ever since, though it does tend to stay home more now than it used to. Oh yeah, paid $450 for it. Had to put it on 90 day lay-away so I could earn the cash! Jim at Jim's House of Guitars in San Diego sold it to me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  9. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I played a '63 J at Chicago Music Exchange and it played... very nicely. No, I didn't purchase it.

Runnerman and JoratioMumbles like this.
  10. My ‘96 L2500 is the “best” bass I have. It is also the best sounding, but not exactly the best feeling. My Jazz “feels” better, but it’s a Squier...

C Stone and JoratioMumbles like this.
  11. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

+1. image.jpg

12. '61 P bass a friend let me play at a jam. I'd probably tried to buy it at the time had he wanted to sell it.

JoratioMumbles likes this.
  13. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The best P-bass anyway, and yes - I bought it. :bassist: ('66)

upload_2020-11-30_15-22-53.jpeg

14. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    2milehighspike likes this.
  15. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

. That’s what you see there, if you can get one do it!

jkazam likes this.
  16. My Kiesel PB4. I've played lots of Fenders, but this one feels and more importantly, sounds amazing.

murph7489 and JoratioMumbles like this.
  17. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    Played some F Bass, MTD, and a Marleaux Contra 5 at Bass San Diego last summer. I wish, on all counts.

Outtaseezun and JoratioMumbles like this.
  18. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Traded for it. A little heavy and from a maligned era, but it’s got the best neck I’ve ever touched. It’s hard to put down.
    59F33D95-DF09-4FA3-9092-EB8D2FEDAA1B.jpeg

stuffedbread, Mili, satjhmo and 3 others like this.
  19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    My Wals. Yes.

20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

2001 Thunderbird. I bought it online and didn't know it was a gem until it showed up. Sometimes you just get lucky.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021