What was the guy's name...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by volker, Apr 23, 2003.

1. ...who had a custom made bassguitar with a fretboard devided into quarter notes instead of half ones, and he was working on finding completely new scales. I remember reading about him in a musicians magazine a few years ago.
    So does anyone on here know who I'm blabbing about and also whether his work got him somewhere or not?
  2. Jonas Hellborg's used quarter tones on fretless- dunno if it's him.

I remember seeing a Warwick 6string modified with a strange fretting arrangement- I can't remember the player though.

another guy modded a Warwick with something like third-tones ie. bigger fretspaces:confused:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Interesting - I didn't know that stuff about Jonas Hellborg (but then again, I've only heard his "Elegant Punk" album, ahem)...

Hansford Rowe, yes! That's the one! :)
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have the steel blue album, cool stuff, and less weird-sounding as one might think, especially with the Hendrix cover (Crosstown Traffic). :p
  6. I'll download some of their stuff to check it out :)
  7. ...aww too bad - no Steel Blue on Kazaa :(
    Oh but they have a live version of "Crosstown Traffic" by Hanson ! *bleurgh*
  8. just been to the hansford rowe site.
    interesting stuff- I now understand what that weird Warwick I saw in The Guitar Magazine was all about:p
    so the Just Intonation system provides precise intonation, with extra positions available for playing in different keys, tonalities etc.- pretty much allowing what fretless players sometimes do deviating from equal temperament, which was discussed in the Steve Lawson/Michael Manring forum.

I wouldn't want to take a JI bass in for a refret, though:eek:
  9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I might have one of the very few albums that were shipped to Germany, I bought my copy second-hand from Bert Gerecht himself!

I could rip it and put it on emule, since it's out of print...
  10. Aah yes, I remember Bert Gerecht from the very funny ads of his "Mr. Bassman" shop in my old "Fachblatt" musician's magazines. In the 80s he claimed to be the owner of the world's first shop dealing with basses only :)
    I have just downloaded eMule, so feel free to put some Steel Blue on there - thanks in advance ;) @ JMX

...yes, very interesting stuff indeed - can't wait to hear some examples! :) @ The Mock Turtle Regulator
  11. I remember seeing Joroen Thessling (not sure if I spelled it right!) in Bass Player mag with something like that. It was after his stint with Pestilence and I haven't heard about him since... He was (is?) a great bassist.
  12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'll put it up there, but I'm leaving for France tomorrow, so I'll only be able to put it online after may the 6th, if that's ok for you.

BTW: My main bass is a "No Sweat by Mr. Bassman" 4-string neck-thru, serial no. 044, built for Bert Gerecht by Siggi Jäger, who later moved on to found Human Base.
    The bass predates the Human Base models and is a mix of the BaseX (body shape) and the Jonas (woods and construction).
  13. Cool, thanks! I'll check eMule after 6 May. Have fun in France! :) @ JMX