1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was the most nerve racking admissions process you have gone through ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What was the most nerve racking admissions process you have gone through ? Without a doubt both of my graduate admissions processes have been the most unnerving.

2. When the I became Made in the family business.

I'd talk about it more but I have to restructure stuff since that Elliot dude sang like a canary.

3. Joining my current band. They jumped me in. Steel toes, brass knuckles. The works. It was liking the admissions process for joining the Shady Tree Crips, only with less paper work. A little bit less nerve-wracking was the process of admitting to a good friend I slept with his sister.

Mike

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    So far, the only thing I've really done is University of Chicago, undergraduate. I got deferred on the first cut, and didn't get in until April 1 even though I had applied in October. That was a nerve wracking series of months.

That said, I'm much, much more worried about graduate school. The acceptance rate is around 10%. I have to find 10 schools that a) I could see myself at for the next 6 years and b) are worth a damn, then c) get into one of them.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    My first visit to a whorehouse. They made me wait, like, forever.

6. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Trying to become a member of B.L.O.W. Everything was going along fine, ...until they told me that I didn't meet all of the requirements and then started laughing at me and called me "balloon-boy".
    It was not a fun day!

(wow, that story could very easily be taken the wrong way!:eek:)

7. Our admissions process is just fine, thank you. You cluster guys are mere amatuers. Simply disgraceful.

Mike

8. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I'll ask again, how is a fan propelled balloon-chair not a blimp?

Definition:
    -blimp
    n.
    1. A steerable, nonrigid, buoyant airship.

9. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    Police station.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Have multiple doctorates & never sweated any admission unless you count getting into a bar with a fake ID.

11. We are allowed to set our own membership criteria. As it sits, your contraption violates a number of these. A quick summary:

1) Your fan had to be plugged in.
    2) No safety belts for the pilot. Your Dockers belt ducktaped to the armrests isn't going to cut it.
    3) No true gondola. Sorry, but a nylon strap lawn chair from the seventies doesn't count.

I'll give you this, against all odds, it appears to be both more safe and more classy than your last offering (remember the 1986 Toyota Corolla with the hydrogen-filled Hefty bags? Sorry about that cigarette.) Better luck next year.

Mike

12. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    First, I had an extension cord!
    Second, I used a lot of tape! If Red Green can make a snowplow, I think I can manage a seat belt.
    Third, That wa... wait, you didn't like my chair?:eyebrow:

Still, even it wasn't as fancy as y'alls factory-jobs, you didn't have to laugh and call me balloon-boy!

Anyway, you just wait till next year! I found a couple pool liners, and I'll show you what having determination and a dumb friend, with a loose wallet, can get you.

13. Outward Bound instructors coarses. Mental, physical, Fizzsychological......... :)

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    admission into this country was a freakout. still is.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    unless i wind up in santa barbara, i'm going to be much more worried about STAYING in grad school than getting in!

(santa barbara doesn't require a prelim exam for physics students, unlike other schools. berkeley, for instance, has a 12 hour written exam, plus a two-ish?-hour oral exam.)

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Frankly, I am more worried and worked up about my son's college admission process than I was about my own undergrad and grad school admissions that seemed to go pretty well.

17. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    The initial safety training when I started working at a nuclear power faclility a few years back. It was rather intesne... Man, I wish I still had that job...

18. YOU ARE A GOD!!!

I had something similar but it's way too taboo. Wayyyyyyy.....
    No, not my sister.

19. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    First grade.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    MS-13. :eyebrow: