1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was the oddest pet you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I had a Tarantula and a Black Widow Spider.

The Black Widow I discovered was already pregnant and made an egg case. When I was at school (High School) the 1000 or so babies hatched and they all climbed out of the air holes and spun this huge web around the jar and all over my desk in my bedroom. It was like a horror movie.

I also remember buying a chameleon through the mail as a kid from the back of a comic book. When it came in the mail my mom opened it and the lizard jumped out of the box, nearly killing my Mom!!!

What was the strangest pet you owned?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i had a 1 eyed goldfish, countless little reptiles, turtles, a dalmation, a macaw, a cockateil....i guess none of those are really strange though.

always wanted a falcon...but i dont think that would work out so well.

3. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    6' American Alligator

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I had a rat and a piranha when I was a kid. In separate aquariums of course.

5. Rat and a Sturgeon (as above, they werent together :p )

6. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I guess that would be Weirdo Beardo, the bearded dragon

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    are you Les Claypool? :cool:

8. Without knowing it? maybe :confused:

I remember having to look after the mother inlaw too *dum-tish*

9. I had an octopus for a while. I didn't plan it it, he came as a hitchhiker on some live rock I added to the aquarium. They are a destructive pain in the ASS!! They are also nocturnal. I had to stay up for about 3 nights to catch him :mad:

Here is my mystery Anemone. It also must have arrived on some live rock. I never saw it until it's top was about the size of a quarter, now it's about 6 inches across. It must be VERY stingy as my clowfish won't go near it. It's about a year old now. I was going to pluck it out as it moves around and bothers my soft corals but it's kind of cool :cool:

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A bearded clam.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've been trying to tame mine for years. Any tips on training??

12. I had a black widow for a couple of years. I rescued her from execution the night I left southern california for good. she was pregnant at the time and what i didn't realize was that once they are pregnant, they are permanently pregnant and can make several egg cases over a long period of time. sometimes i was able to abort the babies (and she would sulk for a few days) but sometimes they hatched. they were as dumb as bricks though, didn't know that they were supposed to prey on one another inside the egg case and immediately after hatching to reduce their numbers to a handful of strongest/smartest. so they all ended up dying from being too stupid to eat.

i've had praying mantises as pets on several occasions. i hardly see any anymore though.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    How did you keep one to that size? One of my exgirlfriends had one that they raised from about 8" up until it was around 3 1/2'. By that time it was getting too big and strong to bother with any more.

I guess the "oddest" I've had was a pot-bellied pig. One of the best pets I've ever had.

14. Give it a good lickin' every now and then they will start to obey your commands. :smug:

15. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I had a large wading pool in the corner of my living room. Most of the time I'd let him roam around (I lived alone at the time). Very tame, if you could call it that. He ate Purina dog food out of the water and occasionally whiting filets.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I had a ferret and a pit bull at the same time. It was hilarious watching take turns chasing one another. The pit was so gentle with the ferret too, he'd walk around with the ferret in his mouth like it was his baby. In return the ferret would wait until the pit was eating and he'd run up and nip him on the belly. The ferret had an attitude problem, for sure :D

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I used to have a Chilean Rose turantula.

18. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Two headed frog

19. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i just got myself a donkey, and that's the weirdest thing to date. i'd like to have a potbelly pig (not sure if that's the correct name, i mean the really fat ones from asia) too one day.

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    when i had a ferret, the little **** stole and hid my keys!!!

i miss that little goober.