what was the worst bass you've played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kickinbass, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickinbass

Nov 19, 2004
    ontario canada
    What was the worst bass you have ever played? Mine was a old Squirer P bass or Hardest to play was I had a cort headless. Sounded nice looked awsome but very hard to play. Let me hear what you think is the worst ever.
  2. Generally they have been basses which were poorly set up rather than being bad basses. Walking into a typical bass shop would turn up any number like that.
  3. in my case it was a Ibanez SR600, I still have nightmares about that thing... aghhhhhhhh..... :scowl:
  4. One of those Korean 5 string ones(no offense- I hope this was the worst instrument made there). Too-tight spacing & bad strap positioning almost made me forget the totally weak tone. Poo-poo.
  5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My first bass. Blonde/amber colored violin-type cheap import called a Kingston; SO far away from being an MTD! Way high action, pitiful pickups, cheap tuners, but I thumped away on that thing every day until I stepped up to a Yamaha. The only thing good about the Kingston was that it had the same general shape as Sir Paul's...
  6. A Squier P-bass.
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Would have to be a lower end ibanez for sure! :scowl:
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Wow, those threads usually gets closed but...

The worst bass i've played must be a, hmm..
    one of the basses i play on my lessons, the action is super low so you get clunk out of the easiest touch, + it sounds bad too.
  9. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Normally, I don't participate in best/worst kinds of threads, but in this case I think a warning is in order: Avoid the Italia "Mondial" bass, which is so incredibly poorly designed that it will eventually self-destruct, just sitting there.

It's a neat-looking bass, but execution is sloppy and the body will develop warps, cracks and splits unless extensively modified.
  10. +1. After I got my RBX6JM, I couldn't stand my Squier anymore and gave it away.

Now my Cirrus has me wanting to get rid of my JM... :bassist:
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Any bass with a Jazz width neck.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    You can give the JM to me! :)
  13. mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Teisco ca.1970

Played through an Ampeg Gemini guitar amp (that I wish I still had).

There was not a good sound in it, or an in-tune fretted note.
  14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    A late 80's Alembic. Neck dive, feed back and messed up truss rod. I wanted an Alembic so bad and that bass ruined Alembic's for me. I was only 20 years old and paid through the nose for it. I just knew it said Alembic but had no idea it was a low end dog.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Wish bass... no contest..
  16. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I played a series (?) alembic with really narrow string spacing and severe neck dive. But I don't think that playing it for half an hour in a music shop would qualify me to judge it bassed on that. I thought it sounded really good and the woods looked really nice. I had to play an old copy of a steinberger once. Headless, which I hate, felt like I was holding a brrom stick because it weighed nothing, sounded awful, had 10 year old strings on it, It was the worst gig of my life.
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yup. In fact, the same bass he's talking about.
  18. kickinbass

Nov 19, 2004
    ontario canada
    In case this thread affended anyone I started it because there is always the same question what bass is for me. It is to help out the beginner not to choose the wrong bass because it is cheap. So if you have a bad bass story let the beginner know. thnaks.
  19. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The most awful bass I ever played was actually the first bass I owned. No pics sorry, but try imagine a bass that looks less or more like a Burns, with two crappy humbuckers and a very, very high action. Whatever strings or amps I could use with it, it sounded muddy. The brand was Westone, but I'm not sure it has something to do with more recent basses of that brand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.