Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was the worst high end bass you ever played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 30, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    After seeing the "Worst bass you ever played" thread, I noticed that most instruments mentioned (Supro, etc)aren't exactly known as good quality, pro level instruments. I'd be interested in knowing what everybody's least favorite high end bass is and why.

In my case, it was a Fodera Monarch 5. :eek:

Yup, it was a 5-string version of Victor Wooten's original Fodera, except the width around the nut was so uncomfortabe you could get tendinitis just by looking at the thing. I'm sure it was custom built for someone with hands like Sasquatch and I'd be happy with a bass made for my hand size (But the price - oy.)

Had it been more playable, I'd have loved to have it. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me.

Will C.:cool:

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Fodera Anthony Jackson 6

Will I was going to say this before I read your post, I dont want this to turn into a Fodera flame war.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, CS. No problem. I didn't expect the first reply to be also about Fodera, but maybe we're onto something.

Will C.:cool:

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    For me it's a wall bass I tried. Not that it's not a good bass, but i really hate the sound, and it was not comfortable. Not easy to use either.

5. I've got a couple that come to mind

Modulus Graphite Jazz - worst sound I've ever heard, no bite, no thump, no "what you want from a bass"

Paul Reed Smith - Neck like a log, and a totally uncomfortable body.

Warwick Thumb - who invented that dumb body shape and then had the audacity to make it weigh something like 35 lbs? The triangular neck wasn't very accomodating either.

Ok, that's 3.

6. Pedulla MVP 5-string FL.
    Action was crap. I even asked the salesman to do a quick setup and it only sounded worse. I don't know what the fingerboard was made of but it was very unforgiving. You had to play in precisely the same spot every time or the note would be flat or sharp and stick out like a sore thumb.
    Worst fretless I ever played. On the other hand it sounded great. But why buy a fretless if it can't perform as one.

7. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    It would have to be a tie between a Pedulla 5-string at GC and a MTD 4 that I played at a local shop. The Pedulla had the most uncomfortable neck I've ever played, and the MTD's neck was thinner than my Ibanez GSR 200 and was impossible to play for more than a few minutes without your hand cramping up. Brand names don't mean crap, I'd go with a Peavey Cirrus if I had a grand to drop.

David

8. There was an Alembic i played i hated badly. I normally like Alembics, but this had no feel in it whatsoever. Im not sure which model, but i couldnt play it without feeling terribly uncomfortable. It had an ok sound to it, but i couldnt play it without some part of my body hurting.

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Keep in mind this is personal opinion! LOL
    It's a toss-up between all of the Alembics I've played, or all of the Warwick's I've played.
    The Alembics(keep in mind I've never played a Series I or Series II bass) seem extremely clunky. I like some large basses, but it seems like the Alembics have a certain something that really sucks about them. :)
    The Warwicks all seem to have a neck I just can't handle. They're beautiful basses and sound great, but I just hate their extremely thick necks.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a tie between an Alembic Epic and every Warwick I have ever played except the Streamer Stage models.

The Alembic had no life to the tone at all, and was a bit uncomfortable to play.

A bit uncomfortable does not even begin to describe Warwicks. Streamer standard, Corvette, Fortress, Thumb, Dolphin, they all are like rounded 2x4s except for the one Streamer Stage II that I was fortunate enough to play. I have small hands, and I play 5's and 6's with no problem, if the neck is made right. I own a Pedulla 5 string, and love the neck on the Yamaha TRB6P(the old neck through model) as well as the Conklin GT7 or BD7.

There is something wrong with the design of a bass(IMHO) when the neck of a 4 string is harder to play than a 6 string that has much wider spacing.

And I played one of those Corvette 5's with the wide string spacing, they got the spacing right, but left the same profile on it as the narrow neck models. I can reach the low B on a Conklin GT just fine all the way up to the second octave of the fingerboard, but on the Corvette 5 wide spacing I could not reach it at the 3rd fret without causing pain.

All you Warwick guys are gonna kill me, but I can't stand the MEC electronics either. Warwicks(to my ears) sound great unamplified, but the electronics do not justify the price of the bass. Active or passive, the MEC stuff sounds nasal and lifeless, to me.

::don's asbestos suit::

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly what I've found and it has been most disappointing - the Bass Centre in London has always had a large range of both. I really wanted a Warwick Streamer at one point but discovered that the necks on all of them are just too thick for me and are basically unplayable as far as I am concerned. Alembics, were probably an even bigger disppointment and sounded awful as well as falling down on the playability!

12. For me Warwick anything:D. I think you either love them or hate them. I can't deal with the necks at all... I can't stand any Ric I've ever played either. I also played a Sterling (which I normally love) that was just horrible. They put the bridge 1/4 inch too close to the neck so it was impossible to intonate AND the neck was twisted. Weird because MM's Quality control is usually great, the lads must have been hung over when they built that one!

13. Don't worry, we won't kill you. In fact I agree with you. The MEC pickups suck. I don't have a warwick yet, but I'm going to get one soon. And when I get it it's going to be bearing a nice set of Barts. The active electronics seem fine to me. I especially like the push/pull, active/passive option on the volume knob.
    Feel is very subjective, but I happen to love the Warwick neck. But to me the neck doesn't affect my playing too much. I can play a warwick just as well and as comfortably as a super tiny Jazz Bass neck. The only thing I can't handle is a bass with more than 4 strings. I don't know why but they just aren't right for me. Especially that Conklin 7string. Holy crap, what was he thinking. I gues He didn't want to have to slide his hand up and down the neck so instead he built a bass that you can do a full scale solo on with just the first two frets. Crazy

14. Modulus Graphite basses are my hates. I tried a 4, 5, and 6, all were different models. The necks were cold and "manufactured" feeling, I like an "organic" feel, and the sound was thin and nasally.Which brings to mind a good point. The majority of bassists here would be rock players (I'm guessing), well of all the rock bands I've ever seen and heard, it makes no difference whether the bass was a Squier P or a custom built 21 string made from the most exotic wood on earth. In fact, in that setting, the Squier is probably gonna sound better! I play a Tobias 6 and a custom 6, but I dont play rock any more. If I did, I would use my mongrel Fender P with flatwounds!

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I will classify my passive, 4 string Warwick Fortress One in this group, I don't know the original price, I got it used. It had nice looks, balance, and the neck was so-so, but those MEC p'ups had no punch. I have not cared for any graphite basses I have A/B'd either. I did like the Warwick Infinity One I played; however, I have elected to buy an Fbass instead. Can't wait until it gets here!

16. jazzbass1

jazzbass1

Dec 2, 2000
    Back in 1991 I traded a MIJ Jazz and an old Hamer I had straight across for an Alembic.....might have been a Europa, I've tried to forget about it, my wife wouldn't let me. Thought it was THE bass, even though it was medium scale, a beautiful instrument, I immediately took it with me on a tour of Finland, where I was supplied a backline of a Trace Elliot stack. That bass sounded like hell, even after all the tweaking and adjusting I could think of to do. Made my trip miserable, couldn't stand to open the case every night. Wife was tired of hearing the bitching, as soon as I got back in the USA, I traded it straight across for a 62 P-bass RI. I was as happy as a little girl:) And so was the wife. That's the last time I get suckered into the boutique hype.

17. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Back in the mid 80's I saw a video of Nathan East playing a concert in London (I think) with Al Jerreau. Mr. East was playing this white 5 string bass (I thought it was Fender) that turned out to be a Yamaha. I had to try the bass so I located one at a dealer about 4 hrs away and really anticipated buying one. After playing it for five minutes I realized that this bass was never going to get close to the feel of a Fender type bass. Definitely the worst bass I've played.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If it goes as high-end (at least it's high-cost) my pick is the MusicMan basses.

Well built, yes, comfortable, not really, good-sounding, depends - personally I don't like the sound at all. I was just an inch from buying a used StingRay 5, but I bailed out of the purchase, since I didn't have the money and hadn't played one before. Now I have played one, and I know for sure I will never buy one, unless it comes very cheap.

But this is highly personal.

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Alembic Epic and Orion.
    Gibson Thunderbird

20. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    For me, playability is everything. "Killer tone" is useless if I'm not comfortable playing the dang thing. That makes Warwick the "worst" for me. No me gusta. A lot.