Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what was ur first gig like?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dr_Pepper, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Dr_Pepper

Dr_Pepper

Nov 25, 2000
    i haven't even had one yet anyway. Only been playing for 10 months. But I'm hoping to start up a band sometime and play some clubs. I was just wonderin whether a first gig is a good thing or if it's ****e.

:)

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, my first ever gig saw me playing an out of tune, rusted, 30 year old bass that I had to run around like a **** all day to borrow through a pratice amp in a hall holding about 400 people. We played one song, which I had to learn in the dressing room before we went on. It was one of those godawful talent contest things, and we came in behind the tangoing 5 year olds. But it was a great experience, and a good learning experience.

Really, your first gig should be quite an enjoyable experience, playing in front of an audience (hopefully!) for the first time. It would have to be pretty awful to sour your opinions of playing.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's always a good thing bnut in hindsight it's usually pretty humorous.

Mine was playing a drug party. Some guys had rented a local sportsman's club and we were supposed to get $150 for playing so we rented a small PA. The pianist who lined up the gig never showed, we not only didn't get paid but got charged admission (!!!).

The audience was all high, drinking, smoking weed and snorting coke. At one point in the evening a couple started having sex right in front of the bandstand. A friend of ours who no longer owned a guitar (he had hocked it to buy coke) sat in and played "Johnny B. Goode" for about half an hour at 200 bpm (the drummer actually got up and left in the middle of the song and the guitarists didn't even seem to notice).

After that, I knew stardom and riches were not far away (ha ha ha)

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    My first gig was about 2 months ago at a house party. We played 9 songs and it was one of the coolest things I have ever done. It's great when you can get the crowd into it and things get crazy.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I got home from work and had a message on my machine from a friend of mine (drums) saying he landed some gig, I should bring my gear, and drive down to the bar/restaurant. So, I'm not doing anything, so I figure, okay, why not? I get there just after my friend, and the other guys haven't shown up yet. Apparently he ran into this guitar player on campus and he just landed a gig that night by talking to him. So me and my friend don't know what to expect. These two guys show up. One played rhythm guitar and sang, the other was lead. The guy playing lead plopped down a CASIO SONGSTAR karaoke machine. IT WAS HIS AMPLIFIER! We were mortified. So I asked the singer if he had charts. He said no, and we could just wing it. He said he would face me when he was playing so I could see the chords. As soon as the first song began he turned his back to me and started playing. The lead guitarist soloed throughout the entire song, for every song, in the key of C. Every single song we played, whether it was in C or not, he soloed in C. 5 people were in the audience.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's a TERRIFFIC thing!!!!!!! And I bet yours will be as well, even though you probably won't be paid and it may be in a garage. Another TalkBass poster in Iceland mentioned he had just had his first gig at a supermarket and he was moved when a little kid told him he was, "the greatest bass player ever."

Even though mine involved playing basslines to "Outer Limits," "Money (That's What I Want)," and "The Theme from Peter Gunn," (a poplular `60's TV show), on a Silvertone guitar through a Sivertone 8", at our grade school talent show, it was great for four reasons -

1. The nun in charge of the show was my choir teacher and playing "rock" was sort of like revenge for all that Gregorian chant crap.

2. Our band was saved for last because we were considered the "highlight."

3. For the next few days after the show, several of my female classmates asked, "Do you like me?." (Budding groupies in parochial school uniforms. That was some hot action!).

4. While just the act of playing music is wonderful, the combined effect of doing something you love, AND, finding out it gives others pleasure, is intoxicating.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My first gig was a long time ago at a juvenile detention facility. We had two drummers, three singers, two sax players, a guitar and me on bass. The audience of juveniles were very appreciative and clapped after every one of our five songs. We did not have a PA so the singers had to really shout to be heard above the drums. I had a Silvertone bass that I bought used from Sears along with a Supro amp. It was fun because it was my first time in front of a group of people while I played bass. I think one of our songs was "Little Latin Lupe Lu."

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I was a nervous wreck, so i kicked the drummer in the balls til i felt better.

9. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    That depends. WHICH first gig? =)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Which first gig!!?? Actually my "beginnings" were a bit like that - at University there were always opportunities to get up and play and as you were all drunk and the audience though large, didn't seem intimidating as it was all people you knew and it was mostly messing about.

I suppose though it's not like the "real world" and it was only when I got back to my home town of Brighton and thought about starting a band that it was like a proper "first gig" with an audience that wasn't entirely students.

I met up with a band though a guitarist friend and after many auditions and complications we finalised the line-up and set about writing enough songs for a set. We wrote 10 -12 original songs in about 3 weeks, from ideas we had - I contributed a lot that were based on the bassline. The singer had been to acting school and had been in plays and was very good at coming up with masses of lyrics to fit - we only discovered later that a lot were just lifted from lines in those plays!

We phoned up a local "pub" that put on bands and got the gig. It all went very well apart from the fact that I had to drag my guitarist friend out of the toilets just before we were due to go on - he was so nervous! But I didn't feel nervous at all and it went pretty well - each band member had invited friends (relatives!) so somebody always started the applause and although it wasn't overwhelming nobody booed or told us to get off.

Unfortunately, the singer had a huge ego and argued inecessantly - a few days after our successful first gig, he fell out big time with both guitarists and it all disintegrated. I went with the two guitarists and we struggled to get a decent drummer for ages!! But that's another story. ;)

11. I laughed out loud when I read that. Funniest thing since SNL Sturday Night.

"Dick Cheney said it would be like a fishin' contest..."

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...but seriously, folks.

My first real gig was the second time my band played together. The very first time, it was one of those battle-of the bands thing, in which we played an original composition (called United Kingdom of the Universe, one of our signature songs for years to come) and won the second place. We'd have won first place, but one guy didn't appreciate the fact that the song was in English (did I mention I was living in Brazil at the time?). Still, second place was pretty good for a first time, especially since out drummer was only 13.

Our first real gig was at some beauty pageant sponsored by a school or something. During one song, the singer forgot the lyrics and started winging it. Nowadays, I'd walk up to the singer and yell the lyrics to him/her, but at the time, I was feeling totally inadequate. We played for about two hours (with intermission!) and managed to keep a decent audience going until the end. Not bad for a start, I suppose.

Will C.:cool:

13. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I ask WHICH first gig, because I have firsts in a few different contexts. Really just three, I guess. There's my first orchestra "gig", my first Stage Band "gig" (last week... hehe), and my first "real" (read: paying) improv jazz quartet gig.

I'll assume y'all wanna know about the last one. It was pretty cool. Real small audience, though, so it was pretty much zero pressure. Not that I'm subject to stage fright, anyway. I seem to be pretty good at tuning that stuff out. It was just a Saturday night gig in a Starbucks that paid about $10, a cut of the tips, and free coffee the whole night (that was the best part, naturally). I was really off, since I've never really done any major jazz improv back-up playing before. Still, it went pretty smoothly.

More generally, I think that the "first gig" experience is gonna vary depending on YOU. As long as you don't take it too seriously and don't mind if you SUCK, then you'll be fine. And trust me, you'll probably suck the first time. Everyone does. ;)

14. my first gig was at a school talent show
    we played Green Day's "longview"
    it was fun because we were all jumping and playing and kickin ass
    the kids liked it but unfortunatly we didnt appeal to the judges

oh well

15. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    We invited 2 stoned guys to come over who were neighbors of our drummer. They were stoned at the time that is, very stoned. So they sat down, and we started playing and they seemed to appreciate it, although they kept howling or catcalling or something during the songs. It was a good gesture, just a very bad noise. One of them asked if a song was over even though the other was clapping and we were obviously done playing. Oh well...still fun.

Our first real one was at our drummer's church. We played an original, and were really saved by our guitarist who did his solo great and impressed like usual. We were all supposed to wear white undershirts with an open vest or shirt over it...they all wore flannel open shirts, I wore a Hawaiian shirt...Oh well, I was the singer, I'm supposed to stand out and be better than everyone anyways :)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My first gig?

Played at a lock-in that a local church was having.

Of course, I had been playing in church for about 2 years, so I had a little experience.

Cover songs(Stryper) and original melodic metal with Christian influenced lyrics.

Load of fun, I still have the video somewhere.

Afterwards, one of our drummer's so called friends told us 'I'm just telling you this because I'm your friend, you guys really sucked up there.'

And furtim is right, you will suck your first time. I think it is some kind of law of nature or something.

[Edited by embellisher on 12-19-2000 at 08:30 PM]

17. FyrDogg

FyrDogg

Dec 21, 2000
    My first gig in front of humans who were'nt related to somebody in the band was at the mall. You can imagine the acoustics there. Fortunately, we rented a feedback locater and sounded decent.

All must have gone fairly well from the audience's point of view, because our next gig was 5 originals opening for Petra. (My 15 minutes of fame.)

Going blind under the spotlight caught me completely by surprise!

18. My first gig was last year. It was for the school talent show, after the competitors had done their stuff, a bunch of "showcase" type bands played, ours included. We played four songs, two originals, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, and Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls. I loved that last one, cause I got to do a solo. Impressed the hell out of a lot of the chicks. To bad I'm seeing someone.;)

Rock on
    Eric

19. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    My first gig (if you can call it that..) was in the beginning of March at a school concert. We played three songs: My Generation (The Who), Wonderwall (Oasis) and What's My Age Again (Blink182 - who I hate by the way...:p)

What's My Age Again was set up by some of my friends and they needed a bassist. The other two songs were played by my band and me.

So anyway... In the hours up to the concert we were out getting a few beers when I tripped and fell on the pavement. I sprained my wrist and it hurt like hell!! But what truely bugged me was that I had to play at the school concert in a few hours. Not only that, My Generation includes a BASS SOLO.
    I played that night without too many mistakes :D but my hand hurt like never before...

It was my first performance on stage and it's one I think I'll remember for quite a while...

~Loxley~ (An Englishman in Copenhagen ;))

20. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    , i had been playing for only 3 months, the band hadent even gotten together at all, me and the singer hadent even met the drummer, and the guitarist says hes got us a gig..........i about just loaded my freakin pants write there and then. we had 2 months to make up 5 songs to open for this band. somehow me and the guitarist wrote 5 songs and played them, after we opened, the other band started playing to hollers of "CHAIN REACTION!" (OUR BAND). After about 4 of there songs they let us come on agin, but we had no songs, so we just played 1 twice in a row. that was awsome, knowing that people liked us better than the band we opened for.crrrrrrazzzzy.