1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was your 1st music shop hangout?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SteffanB, Oct 12, 2019.

1. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    My 1st hangout music shop was Spitzer' s music in Hayward CA. It had the old school display windows that had 4 guitars and at least 1 bass. But it always had this horrid guitar called " The Moon Stone". Not only was it ugly but it cost( in 1980's cash) $1100.00. The shop was aboot as big as a GC. 2 floors. 1st floor was guitars and basses with amps and cabinets. 2nd was mostly drums. It was a great hang and they didn't mind that a bunch of metal heads playing Iron Maiden and Slayer. They almost literally had every bass there! Alembic, Rickenbacker, Gibson, Fenders and most importantly NO 5 STRINGS IBANEZ'S! Great place to hang with friends play basses you could not afford. Tho I did buy my 1st rig there. 200 watt acoustic head with a 2 15 cabinet.

2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Charlie Jemmett's Music Store
    Cashed Street
    Christchuch

jamro217 likes this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I grew up as an expat abroad, first music store that became a regular hangout was Swee Lee in Singapore. My first bass was a Cimar bass then got an Ibanez Musician 924. At that time, Ibanez basses were 1/2 the price they sold for in the States and Fender instruments were pretty expensive especially for a teenager.

jamro217 likes this.
  4. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    48th street, NYC Sam Ash in the late 80s.

5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Is this a thing?
    When I was a teen in the 90s music stores didn't want you hanging aroud. Retail stores were a place to buy stuff, not hang out.

6. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Don Wehr's Music City in San Francisco, CA., then Manny's in NY, NY.

7. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    I almost bought a Ibanez Rickenbacker copy. Think it was $200.00. But I bought used Fender jazz bass for $175.00. Wish I still had that beauty.

MCF, AudioTaper and mikewalker like this.
  8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Spitzer’s in Concord (Monument Blvd location) was my second music store hangout. First was Countrywood Music in Walnut Creek. The 1980’s was a different time for sure. Maybe I’m cynical now, but I don’t think that hanging out in a music store has been the same experience since that decade.

mobeme23, MCF, micgtr71 and 5 others like this.
  9. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Sucks for you.

10. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    True. But it was a good time to be young. I kinda see it at South Austin Music. Quote of 2017 was from this young metal head kid that said.. " looking for a more pointy guitar dude!"

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Grinnell Brothers downtown Detroit. Bass lessons and bought my first 'real' bass with paper route money. A 69 Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass. Boy was that thing heavy lol.

Rezdog

Cnivek61, h2otorched, MCF and 6 others like this.
  12. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, Silver Spring, MD

Low Main, Ceora, Joejobass and 6 others like this.
  13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Stonewood Center in Downey CA late '60s had a musical store full of the era's goodies but the burst Fender basses were always drawing my rapt attention away from drums and guitar, they just looked so damn good! plus, for some reason those were the main items in the window for years and even if the store was closed I could gaze at them for hours. I was obsessed, and good ol' Mom picked up on it ...so she got me an accordion.

14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    What’s wrong with 5 string Ibanez basses?

15. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Astoria Music on 28th Ave. in Astoria, Queens, NY around 35 or so years ago.
    It was a small, local music store in the Greek part of town.

The coolest part? It's still there with the same owner.

16. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    How old were you when you bought that beast?

17. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Now that's hella cool!!

Old P Bass Guy, GKon and jamro217 like this.
  18. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    Just be oversaturation at Guitar Center.

Admiral Akbar, Mili and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  19. SteffanB

SteffanB

Oct 15, 2018
    When I told my mom that I needed a amp, she said.. " Can't you just plug your guitar into the wall?" Gotta love your mom!

20. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Music works in Redondo beach, gave slash a ride home from there one night( correction-one morning)