Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your 1st time recording like?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ambolina, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    We're beginning recording, which is a brand new experience for me, and I'm excited but nervous too b/c I'm afraid I'm going to mess up (more than I expect) and I'll get frustrated with my bass playing.

We're just doing it ourselves b/c out singer has a lot of pro-recording gear stuff /software and we're just recording each person's part individually. If we were paying for studio time and I were playing in front of someone I didn't know like my band, I'd probably be a nervous wreck!

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I was quite nervous during my first recording session. Most of the nervousness was due to the fact that I had never heard myself play before. And believe me, the tape/HD/etc. does not lie. It was kind of like a wake up call. The session helped to point out problems with my technique and dynamics.

Once I got a hold of my nerves, I had a great time. All in all, it proved to be a great learning expierience.

3. I was quite nervous, even though we recorded at a friend's house. I was the last track layed down (I drove 350 miles for this....). When I got there, the guys just stared at me as I went through the songs.

I'd have to agree with Jason, my initial reaction was shock at the "nakedness" of my playing. By the end of the night, thanks to a little Pabst, I has settled into the groove and insisted on re-recording the first 2 tracks.

This story doesn't go anywhere, so I guess the point is, it gets easier (I still suck, though).

Mike

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had screwed around with recording myself at home for a number of years before I went into a real studio.

The band was well seasoned from steady gigging and we tracked the guitar/bass/drums for two LPs (this was early 80s) in one session!!!

I didn't hear anything from the sessions for a number of months until the overdubs and mixing for the first LP were wrapped up. It was strange hearing a full band sound where there had been nothing but a rhythm section before.

I suppose having such a good first experience totally spoiled me. I love going into the studio.

5. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm not in a band yet (I've been solicited, but I'm afraid I haven't played long enough to function well in a band), but at my college, I have had alot of experience with my friends' bands recording sessions.

My school has a full pro recording studio that students can use free if they book a time slot. I was taking a recording class, so I got to be the engineer and producer for some of my friends' demos. One of them even got signed to a Canadian label in Vancouver.

But from observing them, they weren't too nervous. They just kind of let loose, and provided criticism to each other where it was needed. Sometimes it was a little tense because there was a time restraint, but I'd say just have fun. If you've played around your band mates for awhile, it should all be ok.

6. The first time I recorded was at a friend's house around 18-19 years ago. Oddly enough, forum member Joe P engineered it. He set up the basement to be as acoustically sound as a 150 year old dirt floor/fieldstone wall basement can be! We did it onto a Yamaha 4 track machine. All things considered, Joe did a marvelous job, and that little punk rock demo got travelled around quite a bit.

We did it very old school, we did everything in one take, no overdubs or anything. I remember it was a lot of fun and doing it made me very confident to do other recording projects (including getting my own 4 track machine).

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well all my recording was done at a friends house, so was no pressure really. I wasnt so much nervous as I was disgusted with myself for not noticing all the flaws in my playing sooner hehe. What works fine in a gig situation or jam session simply doesnt fly in recording. You'll notice string noise you didnt want, ringing notes you didnt mute well, all kinds of things. The benifit is you'll be able to hear it and make the corrections which make you a tighter player all around.

I say if you got the equipment, put it to use, even if you dont have a goal. Hearing yourself played back can greatly improve your playing :)

8. My friend got a digi002 and powerbook recently, and compared to a stereo minidisk recorder, man, it's weird hearing a direct signal, sometimes i'm amazed at how the other guys playing don't throw down their gear and beat the crap outta me, and other times i wonder how in the hell i played that, but it definitely is strange. while i'm playing i'm focusing on not-focusing :) When i'm listening, i'm pulled out of the picture much more and can analyze it fully, i think recording even practice sessions is essential now, but everything is objective.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was in a cheezy rock band. We didn't know what we really sounded like before recording.

The idiot guitar player couldn't leave well enough alone. Kept changing things right then and there. Initial takes sounded ok. But the guitarist kept trying to get something that wasn't rehearsed or practiced by us as a band or, we musically weren't capable of playing at that stage.

What I learned from that: good or bad, stick with what you rehearse. It gets expensive to re-write the songs as the tape machine is rolling.

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I remember my first time. I bought her some flowers....
    Oh, first time recording.
    The first time I ever recorded in a "real" studio, I was nervous. I thought that the guys in the control room were picking apart my playing and snickering behind the glass. I was put at ease after my first take. I walked into the control room and listen to what I just laid down and one of the engineers told me how smooth my G&L sounded. I had recorded at home on my four track and at my friends home studio but when I walked into Omega Studios(Rockville MD) I was floored. I thought, man I got no business being here. :D
    It was cool, as soon as the everyones looking at me feeling wears off everything falls into place.