What was your BEST gig experience ?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassr64, May 27, 2001.

1. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I thought I'd post a thread for the postive side of past gigs.
  2. my best gig experience was at the school talent show whenwe won first. we got to play during intermission and the crowd went crazy. we and my guitarist did this fued thing where he did a riff and then i topped. (by the way i won that contest.)
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a tie. My first gig was great because it was my first gig. It started my obsession. My recent St. Paddie's Day gig was great because from the first note we hit until the last note, every person in the house was dancing their hearts away and having a good time. To know that hundreds of people had a totally great night, because of our band, is pretty cool. That's a great thing about music.
  4. My first show with my new band was probably the topper.....There were only about 200 people in the crowd, but we found out really quickly, that about 150 of them were there for us....It was just an opening gig, and we only played a 1 hour set, but boy was the crowd good to us.....The bar owner booked us as a headliner right away....We actually have that show coming up in less than 2 weeks....:D
  5. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    my first gig with the big band at school was sick, man :) i swear, i got out there and was solid as hell. the whole night me and Badger (the drummer) were just grinning away at each other 'coz we were so locked not even the ****ty horn section was gonna throw us outta time ;) when i listened back to the recording of the concert, man, i was overplaying even worse than Jaco - and it fit like a low-end glove, baby! didn't even realise. i was stoked as hell, 'specially since i didn't know the chords and was going by ear and anticipation 75% of the time. i'd pat myself on the back, but i'm playing bass, man :p
  6. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    My favourite gig out of all the ones I've played would have to be my Rhymes With Puck gig at a Christmasish party for a friend of our rhythmn guitarist. The performance wasn't especially good, and nobody even bothered to listen to us, but it's my favourite gig because the police actually came to the house because the neighbours reported us. ;) As a part-time metal band, that's basically the best compliment we could receive.

Another favourite of mine was my Rhymes With Puck Buddhist gig. A mutual friend and big-time fan of the band asked us to play for some meeting of her Buddhist youth group, which frankly bothered us a bit since A) none of us were Buddhist (two Protestant Christians, one Catholic, one Jew, and one, umm... well, I don't know about our lead guitarist) and B) this particular branch of Buddhism was all about world peace, whereas we are your typical metal band. However, our playing kicked very much ass, and the acoustics of the place were frickin' awesome. It wasn't a temple or anything (man, would THAT have been cool), but rather some kind of auditorium. The altar-thing was right behind us, which was sort of creepy, but also cool. Of course, the best thing was that I got to mic my bass amp (which sounds great, but lacks volume) and that the sound guy actually didn't turn me all the way down and make me invisible! Coupled with the fact that I actually knew what I was doing on that particular occassion, it was one of the best gigs I've ever played... now if only there had been more than 10 people in the audience... and more than three were in our target demographic... =X

Finally, though, my BEST gig ever was my final Stage Band gig. Man, we were so on it, it was silly. We had the funk going for Respect, some major cool on All Blues, solid R&B for In the Midnight Hour, good, umm, stuff for our oddly-arranged version of Caravan, and some truely swingin' swing for Let's Dance. Oh, and there was also some stupid ballad that nobody liked, but we still pulled off perfectly. The sweetest part was that I made zero mistakes the whole time, truly a first for me! But the BEST part of that gig was getting to hear the most advanced Stage Band perform Tower of Power's What Is Hip? with four guest players, one of whom was David Choi, who, I must say, more or less kicks my ass, even though he plays the saxophone and not bass. And Snakes was pretty damned cool, too. David Choi took to calling the Stage III bassist "Marcus". I was jealous. =/

Ah, well, I guess that's it. Not many gigs, but so many memories... we're hoping to fit in one more before the band separates and goes to different schools, and you can bet that y'all'll get a full report if it pans out. ;)