1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What was your favorite live show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pigsonthewing, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    The best concert I ever saw was Weather Report (with Jaco) at a small venue in Orlando in 1977. Jaco stole the show. One of the most amazing musicians I've ever seen. His death was a tragic loss. As far as the case is concerned, it's hard to say whether the sentence was just. All we can do is speculate since we were not in the courtroom and did not hear the testimony. I do know this. Jaco was a BIG guy. From what I understand he also had bipolar disorder and an alcohol problem. He was out of control that night. The bouncer was probably scared poopieless. Whether or not his response was appropriate though is not for us to say. Apparently the judge and the jury decided he went way overboard.

I also saw Weather Report several times with the late great Jaco and his end was tragic. He battled mental illness issues, drugs, financial problems and it's so unfortunate. His memory lives though through the recordings he left behind for us fans to be inspired from but Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Wrong forum. Check what it says next to the "Off Topic" heading at the top of the page and you'll see that it's a 'non music related section'. No worries though :)

3. The Dead Kennedys were pretty good, as was early Primus. Chili Peppers were very impressive in 87 or so.

I'd also say that the OP is off-topic enough to belong here, and I like waffles.

4. EASILY Sam Sparro. No contest whatsoever. I don't think I've ever jammed so hard at a show. Yelling and screaming the whole time, lol.

2nd Place: Watsky

3rd Place: Shook (local baltimore band)

Watsky and Shook were pretty close in terms of how much I enjoyed them. I guess Sade would be an honorable mention. Don't get me wrong, she was absolutely fantastic but hte other shows were more fun.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    How are shows of live music not music related?

6. pigsonthewing

pigsonthewing

Jul 7, 2009
    Old York
    my b dudes

7. the Who in 75 or 76 while they still had Keith Moon. unbelievable.

also, about the same time...Jethro Tull. real good.

in 74 I saw King Crimson in Nashville. they had just gotten Bill Bruford. they played, among other songs, 21st Century Schizoid Man, and played it really well. Bruford and Robert Fripp were so together, it was just fantastic.

davesignatureII-1.

8. I did not say that 'live shows are not music-related'; what I said was that *the OP(opening/original post)is off-topic enough to belong here*- what I meant was that it started out about live perf but went all over the place, and therefore goes here quite nicely. Frankly, that's the kind of thing that I look for in OT.

Edit: :)

9. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I've seen a heap of bands live - I'm a music journalist and photographer, and that's part of the parcel. However, my favourite show was the first time I saw Metallica, in 2004 as part of the Big Day Out festival. Metallica is one of my favourite bands and getting into the pit was a story in itself.

Someone had died in the mosh pit previously at the Big Day Out, so for the 2004 edition, they implemented the "d-ring". It was a structure that looked like an inverted D, and there were two entrances on either side, with the gates controlled by security. This was to monitor the amount of people in the pit and to prevent crushes from happening. However, what they did cause was crushes at the entrances because a lot of people [myself included] wanted to enter the pit for Metallica.

I lined up to enter the pit about two hours before Metallica came on, and soon there was a big crowd of people who joined the queue. Some people behind me started pushing the crowd forward, and the bouncers at the entrance pushed the crowd back. A person two rows in front of me fell, causing the person behind to fall - and then that person crashed onto me. For a moment, all I could see was a sea of feet heading my way, and I was pinned down so I thought I was going to be trampled. Fortunately, someone yanked me to my feet just in time.

Eventually, I did make it into the mosh pit, but it took a near suffocation at the gates before I got in. The bouncers had closed one of the gates and I ended up being lifted off the ground, crushed hard against the close gate because people were pushing and trying to get in. The bouncers had to make a little path for me between the throngs of people so that I wouldn't suffocate.

All that was worth it when Metallica came on and I found myself right up the front. They played one of my favourite songs, "Fade To Black", and at the end, I was within arm's reach of Lars who was handing out drum sticks.

10. Korpiklaani hands down. dudes played for 2.5 hours with energy and smiles the entire time.. the music is so much fun the mosh pit was a big happy dance.

for reference:

11. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I saw Velvet Revolver play in Cologne on the Libertad tour, and that was by the best concert I've ever been to.

Second was probably Rush on the Counterparts tour. And a very close second. Those were by far the two best concerts I've been to. The Chili Peppers were pretty killer in like... '88?

12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

T.O.P. absolutely destroyed the joint here in Sac a few years ago. Still brings a smile to my face!

1989 ~ Pink Floyds Delicate Sounds of Thunder tour. It was transcendent.
    1982 ~ Stevie Ray Vaughn ( just before Texas Flood released ) at Cal Expo with headliners Y&T ( Black Tiger ) and Sammy Hagar ( Three Lock Box )

13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    The Flecktones back in 92 or 93.
    Absolutely incredible!

Saw them again in 2010 and was totally disappointed.
    They just phoned it in.

If they ever play a free show in the area - I'll go,
    but... I don't think I will ever again pay $75. a seat to see them.

14. Thanks bassteban! I like you too, buddy... :)

The Roots put on the most impressive show I've seen to date. Truly amazing. Can't wait to see them again. :bassist:

15. 2004 - Earth Wind & Fire touring with Chicago, Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ. My sister & I sat right behind the sound board. It was a perfect show - I didn't know too many of the Chicago tunes (only the main ones). It was extra cool when both bands played an encore together - they did an EWF tune and then a Chicago tune. Two horns + two drummers + two basses + etc. It was hot as hell in there (early July), but such an awesome show. We stopped at our local bar for a gin & tonic after the show (so cold & tasty!). Super cool.

A close second is Victor Wooten's "Soul Circus" tour (Theater of the Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA, Spring 2005). Victor came out with the costume (with multiple arms, like the album cover) - that was awesome. I also enjoyed the bass spinning & antics when they turned the theater lights off & he spun the bass with the LEDs. I had just been laid off, and saved enough money to buy the tickets. What an awesome day.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Best one so far was probably seeing Sonic Youth at the Glass House in Pomona, Ca.
    Next would be Ghostland Observatory and The Flaming Lips at the Hollywood Bowl.
    Next should be Janes Addiction and the Flaming Lips in Dana Point in September.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Radiohead. Each and every time although the show I saw in June with two drummers was perhaps the best.

18. ooooh, i forgot that, add pink floyd to my list, although i saw them well before Ghost.

i saw them also in the 70's, just as they were about to release Animals. they played the song "Echoes" in its entirety and it was something special.

davesignatureII-1.

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    In 1971 I saw Yes open for Grand Funk Railroad. Yes was incredible.
    1973 I saw Grateful Dead put on a 6 hour show. So baked.
    1974 Crosby Stills & Nash played 2 hours of acoustic music at Tanglewood.
    1975 I saw Weather Report open for Earth Wind & Fire. Me, my GF and 10,000 black folks. Great show.
    Early 80s at Toad's Place in New Haven I saw Gil Scott Heron, Roy Buchanan, John Lee Hooker and Iggy Pop from about 5 feet away. (on different nights)
    Can't remember any more, but I always enjoyed NRBQ.

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Fishbone! Catch 'em every time they come around. They bring it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.