What was your first amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Not including guitar amps, but what was your first amp when you started to play bass? i've only been playing for 9 months but my first amp is a VOX T-25. :D (You can complain all you want) Bought a fender front man for travel soon after i got it for christmas.
  2. Crate BX-15. Horrible horrible horrible. The first time I played through my Ampeg is one of the happiest moments I can recall.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :( Awww geez - Ancient History. I seem to remember
    guttin' this old clock radio or boombox. First commercial
    one == Peavey TNT, TKO, T.P.O.S....somethin' like that.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Geez, we'll sure show our age with this one.

My first amp was a brand new 1972 Carvin Bassmaster w/ 4-12" CTS speakers
  5. I've only been playing 8 months so my first amp is the one I still have now, Peavey Microbass. Actually its an inexpensive good little practice amp, not anything more though.
  6. Fender Squire B15. It wasn't good by any strech of the imagination but I gotta admit I beat the hell out of the thing for 3 years and when I sold it it was still working like a champ.
  7. Got you all beat. Peavy Basic 112. Hehe,watch out!
  8. I still have my first amp, which i use for practice @ home..

Aria AB-30 :)
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First actual amp built for bass? Guild 15" cab with a Fender Bassman head in the late 60's, which I only kept about 5 months. Then the Sunn rose with 2-15"s and 300W.
  11. Selmer treble n bass 50....but that was a LONG time ago...
  12. My first and only amp so far is a Torque TB-30. I've been meaning to get a new one for ages, but i suppose it isn't bad as a practice amp.
  13. Always keep your first amp... it's very usefull if your main amp gets broken and needs to go to the factory for repair..

and it's ofcourse also usefull for sentimental nostalgia :D
  14. Selmer made amps? Weird. I only knew them as a maker of clarinets and other band instruments.
  15. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    it pains me to admit my first amp was a rogue RX-20 or something. selmer makes one hell of a saxaphone (play one in my school band), mighty fine instrument.
  16. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Sadly, I actually played an Ibanez bass amp first, possibly the worst amp ever made (Ibanez BT10)! 12w with an 8" speaker. Try and beat that!
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Fender BXR 15-money pending i'll buy a bigger combo by this time next year. The BXR is nothin more than a bedroom amp-it distorts really easily. Thats all
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sony tube powered reel-to-reel. Also a transistor radio, the Magnavox all-in-one stereo that my brother and I cut into "components" (we were truly pioneers;)...and anything else that had an input that buzzed when I touched it:D

First really serious amp (before the SVT's, Acoustics, B-15's, tri-amp or whatever I could beg borrow or steal)...

Kustom 200 with 3-15 cab. White sparkle naugahyde...with the included nauga doll.
  19. First amp? SWR Basic Black. The headphone jack came in handy.
  20. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    My first amp was a Marlboro with an 8" speaker. I thgen bought an Ampeg head and built a cabinet out of plywood and slapped a couple of positively wretched 15" speakers that I got from Radio Shack