What was your first amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Zebraface, Feb 13, 2003.

1. This question has probably been raised before, but what was your very first amp? At the moment, I only have a Stagg 20w practice amp, but I would like to upgrade to a nice combo amp, maybe an Ampeg or a Trace.

I mean your very first amp...how much did it cost and what make model was it?

Sorry if this question has been done to death.

2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    No, no, you don't want to know.:(
  3. Christ , errm , it was a Force , or summat ...
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Ha, ha!
    Falcon B-50, made in former German Democratic Republic if I'm not wrong.
    gain, bass, treble and volume knobs, 50W, 12" speaker in a comparatively huge enclosure.
    It was better sounding and louder than you might think!

5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a bran new late 70's Peavey TNT100, I thought I was king with that baby!
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    The first amp I bought was a Peavey TNT 100. This amp is 30 years old, and has never given me a single problem, still has the original 15" speaker. It was played wide-open at all times while trying to compete with two guitarists. The last time I played through it (probably 3 or 4 years ago) it still worked flawlessly. It's tough, but I never liked the sound of it. You know what they say... "never buy a Peavey, they last forever".
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow T, we posted at the same time about the same amp!:D
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    How 'bout that. Must be the conjunction of the spheres.
  9. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    1st amp worthy of mentioning was a Roland cube 60.
    First real bass amp was a Hiwatt then a Labsystems VP300
  10. My first amp, a silver face Fender Bassman 10. I bought her brand new for around $500 back in 1972 and I still use it but mostly for practice.
  11. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    It was a JCPenny special, something like a 5 inch speaker that distorted everytime I hit the G string. So pathetic...and I bought it used!
  12. Univox for me. I don't remember the number. It was a 15 in a sealed box, and an itty bitty 20 watt head! My brother used to give me crap about it being small enought to wear it with a belt clip!

I upgraded to a Peavey TNT - 45 W - when I could afford it. That was a great amp.
  13. tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    my very first amp was/is a guitar amp:
    Mesa/Boogie Blue Angel 1x12 combo.
    and almost by accident,though i'm still waiting for it via Ebay,my first bass amp will be:
    Mesa/Boogie 400+.
    -i had considered it for when i was actually able to play,but it just popped up and i bid on it! the seller appears to be very reliable,so i guess i've only got UPS to blame...grr.
    mind you,i'm 35 and just started.i'd rather be a kid with no money,and a headphone amp.-;)
  14. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had a Traynor 25watt, 15" speaker thing. It was ported, had gain, bass mid and treble. It was pretty cool. to get it loud enough even to be heard, I had to pump a hot line out from a guitar head into it. I did serve me well, though.
  15. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    A Peavey Microbass. I bought it with my first bass (Peavey Patriot) when I was sixteen. I still have that little Microbass and practice through it from time to time. It delivers pretty desent tone at lower volumes. It doesn't do much for B strings though.
  16. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    My very first amp was a Hondo something or other. I never realized it at the time, because I had no means of comparason, but that thing sounded like an old old old radio. That christmas my dad bought me a Fender B-15 and the difference was staggering.

P.S.- Never, EVER, buy a Hondo for ANY reason whatsoever. EVER. :D

EDIT- Im surprised Im the only one so far with a Hondo first amp...
  17. Peavey Decade. Guitar amp. "Saturation". 10 watts. 8" speaker. Open-back. About the size of a half-case of beer.

Yeeeaah, boyee!!! Stand back, she's a high performance machine!!!!:cool:
  18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    70s Ampeg V-4B head, 200$

Still kick myself for selling it.
  19. Still have my old V-4B Head from the 70's has to go in for repairs but still have her at the ready once I can afford the costs.
  20. My first amp was a Crate 15 watt amp. Its really small and i still have it. I still use it when i practice in my room, its not that bad, sounds kinda dull and flat thought.