Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first bass and was it a gift?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    TBers, I am very sad today beacuse my Mother had a heart attack last night and died this morning. Although I really miss her, she was a great Mother and among the many great things she did for me was give me my first bass. It was actually a pretty bad J-copy from Korea back when Korean basses were pretty weak. That said, it was a sacrifice for her and I always appreciated it. I am just wondering if anyone else got his or her first bass as a gift, and what was it?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My first bass was a MIM fender jazz, used. I intended to pay for it, but the day it came my parents/grandma/older brother all chipped in and i ended up only paying a little of it.

EDIT: +1 on how are you functioning?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm very sorry about your mother. I'll send a prayer up for you.

My first bass was a gift. It was a Squier Afinity P-Bass, which I still have and use. It has emg's in it now, and it sounds fantastic.

4. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother. I don't know how you're even functioning to post, today. Take care. My prayers are with you.

My first was given to me by my brother who found me playing along with records with his guitar, but picking out bass parts. I've thanked him ever since; it was a turning point in my musical life.

5. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    My condolences. You'll be in my thoughts.

My first bass was a Squier P Bass. My dad bought it just to experiment with, and I sort of took it over. It's still my main bass after six years.

6. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorry about your mother. My grandma died one week ago on this day, it was the first death in my family, and my first funeral.

My first bass was a gift from my mother also. It was a Squier P Bass and I played the hell out of it.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sorry to hear about your Mom Dr. Cheese. Hang in there. Your Mom not only gave you your first bass but also the gift of actually becoming a bass player. Can't do that without your first bass being in your hands right? That is a real positive thing to always remember her everytime you pick up a bass.
    My first bass was a loaner from my brother. It had belonged to my Dad who passed away. My brother let me borrow it but wouldn't let me keep it. So actually my first bass that I owned I bought myself. It was a Peavey T-20 P bass copy.
    Eventually I traded it in for another bass.

8. My sympathies and condolences go out to you, my friend! I'm glad that you have such fond memories of your mom - or at least that she was willing to make that type of sacrifice for you, noting that you would be blessed by it.

I can totally relate to your story. My mother died a year-and-a-half ago. She had a rare brain disease that took away her ability to talk, walk, later move at all. But at her funeral, I told everyone that one of my fondest memory of my mom was when we went to the music store when I was only about 15 and she plunked down about $700 to buy me my first bass - a Fender and a Sunn amp. This was about 1978, so $700 was A LOT of money!! My Dad had a fit and was convinced that I would chuck the whole thing in 6 months and that my mother had wasted family funds.

I'm now 43. I've been playing for 28 years. My Bachelor's Degree is in Electric Bass. I won a couple scholarships in it. And now, I gig to help support MY family!

I thank God for my mother's heart -- that she was willing to take the flack from Dad and give me a chance at bass guitar -- not knowing AT ALL where it would lead.

You're now officially in my prayers, Cheese!;)

9. Condolences.
    My first bass was not a gift, but my first musical instrument was.
    I was a Kent electric guitar, a gift from a neighbor lady who was a friend of the family. She passed shortly after I started taking lessons. I still have it. The stock pickup is not so good any more, but I have recently purchased a nice Lace single coil to replace it. I cannot see getting rid of this one.

10. My dad bought me my first bass..... it was a black Squier P that I ended ripping off the frets, and replacing the stock pick ups for the ones that I had on my MIM P. My sister is the only one that still plays it. Oh yeah if I'm gonna mod my primary bass I always try first on that squier.

It has been trashed.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/falsehopesgg/8fb5cdb7.jpg

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My first bass was a cheapo Westone. The body had the shape of a J, but the pickups were crappy humbuckers and there were switches just like there are on Fender Bass VI and Jaguar Bass reissues.

The sound was muddy as hell, the finish was flawful and so on, but hey that's the bass on which I started learning to play.

It was a gift from my mother since I was young and still a student. A few years later I gave it to a young guy who wanted to start playing bass.

12. First off, you and your family are in my prayers. I hope you find strength in this difficult time.

The bass that I learned on (and I still play) was my dads '76 Gibson G3 (hence my forum handle). It is definately harder to play than my Peavey Millenium BXP, but it has an aggressive, punchy sound that I just love. So it really isn't "mine", but it holds a special place in my heart.

13. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My Condolances Sir,

My first bass was a black Fender Standard Precision, from my mom and stepdad. I have always been gratefull that she stepped up to the plate and spent the extra $ to get an instrument of some quality for me. it was my only bass for 5 years, and I still have it.

I will pray for you.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Bass is one of the loves of my life, and my mother made it possible. I think posting here is just one small way of acknowledging what she meant to me, and I will remember her every time I play from now on.:)

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

My prayers are with you.

Around our house, the first one or two instruments and amplifiers were a 50/50 deal. Mom or Dad picked up half and we kicked in other half. First bass- JC Penny semihollow, dual pickup with flats, what a gas!

My mother had a heart attack on New Years Eve. She was already in the hospital with Pnemonia(sp).

Wesley R.

16. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Sorry about your mom. You and your mom will be in my prayers. My first guitar was a gift from my parents, but I probably wouldn't have been able to get any of my instruments without my parent's help.

17. ParryPerson

ParryPerson Banned

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport Louisiana
    My first bass was a gift, they said I would never play it, haven't stopped since.

A Kramer starter bass, and then after that, they got me a MIM P-Bass that I loved.

18. really sorry about your mom

mine was an ibanez gsr200 and it was a gift from my mom for kinda xmas but more like late november.

19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Mine was a Kramer Voyager with a super sweet gorilla amp. I bought them from a friend for I think about 40 dollars.

20. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Dr Cheese,

My most sincere condolences for your loss. I lost my dad when in my late teens so I know something about what it's like to lose a parent. It's nice that your mom made the sacrifice to get you your first bass. In addition to all the memories you have of your mom, that bass also connects you to one another.

My first bass was an Ibanez roadstar...a gift to me from myself. Hang in there man.