Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first bass?? Still have it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Dec 12, 2001.

1. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    So what was was it? Do you still have it around?
    Mine was black Harmony from service merchandise I believe. I traded it later for a washburn.

2. Mine was a Status. That's what it said on the headstock. Terrible J-Bass copy with SC's in humbucker size. The bridge pu was broken.

The next was a Steinberger copy from Hohner. I am glad I sold it.:D

3. 1978 Fender Musicmaster....nope, don't still have it, wish I did though, mainly for sentimental reasons and to have something for my daughters to start playing on! Traded it for a Gibson Ripper!

mark s.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it was a white jazz bass copy, without pickguard. the brand name was kingston, made in korea. i remember it was plywood made. maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. then i bought a eko jazz style bass then a cort artisan, then a rick 4001, then a Spector NS5CR, then a japanese Squier jazz bass, then a gibson thunderbird then a fender precision.
    kingston= cheap bass with not so good sound good only for starters, i sold it.
    eko, rick and the precision= i still own them, nuff said!
    cort artisan=really really good bass. i'd like to hae it and replace the select by emg pickup p/j with barts. it would have been a kille bass!
    spector=awesome bass i sold it because i found it too heavy and because i prefer other pickups to EMG.
    gibson=strange bass but i liked. forced to sell to pay my university taxes
    the MIJ squire was one of the best jazz bass i have ever played forced to sell for the same reason of the gibson.

that's my story. and now i'm building my new 5 string bass. i need a 5 string!!

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    a used '72 Jazz
    still have it, but the neck is f'd

6. Epiphone copy of a Rick. It was a rental, so 6 months later I got an Aria Pro II - sold that while I was in college.

7. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    a brand new Premier Bass. I dont think there was even a model number. I think they only made one. it was a really nasty P bass copy. The body was too thin, the hardware was cheap, and the whole thing was painted black. even the fingerboard! no pickguard, had a terrible neck, played and sounded even worse, but... it was MINE! I later sold it to a friend for $51. i still play it at times, just to remind myself how lucky I really am. I dont miss it at all.

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    How do you come to $51.00 as a sale price.

" No I will not take $50 ... but I will however take $51.00" :D :D

9. I'm surprised some jerk hasn't mentioned that we had a post like this before:eek:
    Mine was a very very poor quality Palmer Krammer copy P-bass for $70 bucks I got at a pawn-shop. It has a black w/ bright yellow streaks on it. Very 1980's.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    My first was an Ibanez SR400, which I later traded in to GC for a Rickenbacker 4003, which I later traded along with my MIA Fender Jazz Custom for a Lakland Joe Osborn...

...kinda wish I still had the RIC and the Ibanez...

11. My first was a "Series A" short scale P-Bass copy. I broke the 'E' tuning peg off and had to tune it with pliers.... Traded it in on a Peavey Patriot, Traded that on an Ibanez SR800. Then I bought a MIA jazz bass, and a '71 P-Bass. I sold the SR800 and the P-Bass in order to get a '76 SVT...... I still have the Jazz.

12. Ibanez GTR50... I still have it in the carrying bag I got with it. :)

13. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    a yamaha RBX200. black, one pbass pup, and its sitting in my room. pretty crappy but i can get some cool sounds out of it.

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    A 1970's Electra Les Paul copy. I sold it...got it back and still have it. AND....it still plays great! ;)

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    How do you come to $51.00 as a sale price.

" No I will not take $50 ... but I will however take $51.00"

:D :D :D Oh my god, i'm laughing while I write this:D

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ummm, we had a thread like this before.:D :D

Mine was an old Fender Musicmaster, and no, I don't still have it. I broke it.:( :mad:

17. Well my first bass will be a year old come Christmas. Well a year in my possesion for that matter. Its a Galvestone p-bass copy. Excellent begginners bass. I still have her, but my month or two old MIM 5 string jazz is getting most of the attention.

I think i'll give her lots of attention once I figure out how to defret. And once I get a new bridge and pups. I plan on either completely slaughtering her with my upgrades, or making her a killer instrument. Maybe i'll post a thread similar to DHC's(I THINK it was DHC) asking for suggestions on what I should do with her.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have? Heck, I'm still using mine. Ibanez GSR 200, modded to BEAD, and strung as such.

19. First was an Ibanez SR-800.....sold it to a friend...

I'm preparing to sell off the 3 basses I owned after that so I can finance another purchase. :)

I'm not one for sentimentality.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    3/4 size black synsonic P-bass copy from sears. got it 9 years ago for christmas.

this bass was so bad, that when i got into jazz I at my middle school, the director told me to come back for next rehearsal with a different bass.

and i came to the next rehearsal with a near mint 94 Sterling :) that shut him up.

anyways - i sold it and the 30watt T-power bass amp i got with it for $150 bucks to a friend. not a bad deal, i'd say :)

jason