What was your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Sep 23, 2001.

1. I started with a really crap 'session pro' bass that was a total rip off at £100.

In some ways i think it's made me better because i started on a crap bass and now my musicman sterling :D feels like heaven and i seem to be able to play quicker.
  2. Circa 1973. Lousy action but it was my first love.

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The timeless classic: An Epiphone Accu-Bass. :D
  4. squier p bass ...I loved it too
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    My first was a Yamaha RBX200, but after a year I added a Fender Jazz Bridge Pickup. I still have it and love it!
  6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    An old Harmony P bass copy. Still have it, and when I pick it up once in a while, I can't believe I even stuck with playing the bass. The fretwork is so poor, you practically lacerate your hand sliding up and down the neck. Actually, I am glad I kept it, as I am going to pull the frets and change the pickups and bridge. If I screw it up, no loss.
  7. a Squier Bronco Bass. I still have it. i'm planning to put new tuners on it and string piccols on it
  8. Back in '70, I got my first bass. A fake Fender Precision (made in the Philippines). I was living there at the time.
  9. i had a fender squire standard series p bass made in indonesia i think. I bought it for 180 pounds sterling and sold it 8 months later for 140 (im such a great con-man)
    I then bought a Ibanez GSR 200 and I love her to bits.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    it was a jazz bass knockoff. the brand was Kingston, it was plywood finished in white, without pickguard. i sold it 4 years later to buy a cort artisan 4.
  11. my first bass was a Palmer P-bass i found at my grandparents and it had no pups or strings and was black w/ yellow stripes all over it and i played that piece of crap for 3 years, later i found out that was the hardest bass to play ever, it had a neck 3 miles wide and action 3 miles high and had a high gloss neck. now i got and iba. sr w/ the oiled skinny neck and the extra low action and lots of relief for bending. awwww...
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ha! You guys are light weights! I started with a Lotus P clone that I bought at a pawn shop for $50. :D The previous owner had written the notes on the back of the neck. :rolleyes:
  13. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    My very first bass was a Lero. It was a j-bass type deal I got for about $100 at the local record store. I was 10 and had saved the money from my paper route...The beginning of my GAS attacks!!!
  14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    1st bass ever - a Crestline P-bass copy. I didn't realize how much it sucked until I played afriend's REAL P-bass.

1st REAL bass was a 60's era Fender Jazz. Got stolen.

1st New bass was a '79 Music Man Sabre that I finally parted with a couple years ago.

15. Mine was a beaten-up Westfield P-bass ripoff. I think i paid £50 for it, and sold it a year later for £20.
  16. Im still playing my first bass. Its a called a Galestone and I think it is supposed to be a p-bass knock off. Its doing the job fo me right now. I bought it from a friend for $175 last Christmas and it came with a little 10 watt amp, a strap, and 2 cords. He bought it pretty much brand new off of e-bay, played it for like 2 weeks, and decided he wasn't a "bass man." He's my rhythmic guitarist in my band that we may get together someday.

Sorry for the life story.
  17. Squire Jazz Bass. Purchased new and sold later to a guitar player friend. Now I think that I might buy it back and mod it!
  18. My first bass was a Guild B-301(spoiled or what!), my dad and I went to see it and bought it from a guy who I guess didn't know what he had. I think we paid about £80 for it - I think that's about $110 and that was 12 years ago. I still have it, play it occasionally and am letting it appreciate for now!!!!
  19. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1969 Lyle bass, made in Japan. I wish that I still had it, it would look pretty cool sitting next to my MTD 535, F Bass, Lakland 55-94 Deluxe, and Fender Jazz.