Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Sep 23, 2001.

1. I started with a really crap 'session pro' bass that was a total rip off at £100.

In some ways i think it's made me better because i started on a crap bass and now my musicman sterling :D feels like heaven and i seem to be able to play quicker.

2. Circa 1973. Lousy action but it was my first love.

[​IMG]

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The timeless classic: An Epiphone Accu-Bass. :D

4. squier p bass ...I loved it too

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    My first was a Yamaha RBX200, but after a year I added a Fender Jazz Bridge Pickup. I still have it and love it!

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    An old Harmony P bass copy. Still have it, and when I pick it up once in a while, I can't believe I even stuck with playing the bass. The fretwork is so poor, you practically lacerate your hand sliding up and down the neck. Actually, I am glad I kept it, as I am going to pull the frets and change the pickups and bridge. If I screw it up, no loss.
    Doc

7. a Squier Bronco Bass. I still have it. i'm planning to put new tuners on it and string piccols on it

8. Back in '70, I got my first bass. A fake Fender Precision (made in the Philippines). I was living there at the time.

9. i had a fender squire standard series p bass made in indonesia i think. I bought it for 180 pounds sterling and sold it 8 months later for 140 (im such a great con-man)
    I then bought a Ibanez GSR 200 and I love her to bits.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it was a jazz bass knockoff. the brand was Kingston, it was plywood finished in white, without pickguard. i sold it 4 years later to buy a cort artisan 4.

11. my first bass was a Palmer P-bass i found at my grandparents and it had no pups or strings and was black w/ yellow stripes all over it and i played that piece of crap for 3 years, later i found out that was the hardest bass to play ever, it had a neck 3 miles wide and action 3 miles high and had a high gloss neck. now i got and iba. sr w/ the oiled skinny neck and the extra low action and lots of relief for bending. awwww...

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ha! You guys are light weights! I started with a Lotus P clone that I bought at a pawn shop for $50. :D The previous owner had written the notes on the back of the neck. :rolleyes:

13. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    My very first bass was a Lero. It was a j-bass type deal I got for about $100 at the local record store. I was 10 and had saved the money from my paper route...The beginning of my GAS attacks!!!

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    1st bass ever - a Crestline P-bass copy. I didn't realize how much it sucked until I played afriend's REAL P-bass.

1st REAL bass was a 60's era Fender Jazz. Got stolen.

1st New bass was a '79 Music Man Sabre that I finally parted with a couple years ago.

Peace,

James

15. Mine was a beaten-up Westfield P-bass ripoff. I think i paid £50 for it, and sold it a year later for £20.

16. Im still playing my first bass. Its a called a Galestone and I think it is supposed to be a p-bass knock off. Its doing the job fo me right now. I bought it from a friend for $175 last Christmas and it came with a little 10 watt amp, a strap, and 2 cords. He bought it pretty much brand new off of e-bay, played it for like 2 weeks, and decided he wasn't a "bass man." He's my rhythmic guitarist in my band that we may get together someday.

Sorry for the life story.

17. Squire Jazz Bass. Purchased new and sold later to a guitar player friend. Now I think that I might buy it back and mod it!

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My first bass was a Guild B-301(spoiled or what!), my dad and I went to see it and bought it from a guy who I guess didn't know what he had. I think we paid about £80 for it - I think that's about $110 and that was 12 years ago. I still have it, play it occasionally and am letting it appreciate for now!!!!

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1969 Lyle bass, made in Japan. I wish that I still had it, it would look pretty cool sitting next to my MTD 535, F Bass, Lakland 55-94 Deluxe, and Fender Jazz.