What was your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocking 4 life, Apr 10, 2002.

1. i'm just about to get my first bass woohoo! :) (either MIM fender j-bass or p-bass)..

i was wonder.. what was your first bass? and what did you think of it?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think we can find room for this in "Basses", Buckaroo.

3. My first bass was / is a Squier P. Black finish, white guard, rosewood fretboard.

Has since been upgraded with a black guard and bridge cover. I also dropped in some heavy duty pots, like the ones they use in MIA Fenders. S-D 1/4 pound pups are on my Wanted list.

It may be a Squier, but it is a workhorse. The construction quality is as good as (if not better) than a MIM Fender.

Bought it new in 1997 for $150.
  4. The first one I owned was a Guild B-301!!! Cost about £80 ($110?) back in 1989!!! Still have it. I thought it was greatstill do. Don't play it very often now that I have the Spectors - I'm just letting it appreciate quietly in it's hardcase!!!!

OK, I actually do bring it out and play it from time to time - it's still great really!!!
  5. A Pearly-white Aria Pro II XRB was my first bass :)
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    MIM J. Still have it.
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Kingston Jazz bass clone. Not the MTD, Kingston was the brand name. it was a bass with a plywood body, finished in white similar to a jazz bass but without pickguard. a bass for beginners that i had really cheap together with an arrow 10w amp.
  8. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Mine was an Encore p-bass copy, which was cool, however i started trying to play marcus miller, and p-bass is not great for slap ;)

It will always have a special place in my heart.....the first bass i ever played (tears in my eyes), when i was young and free, and........those were the days!!

actually after i saw another bass with a knob that you could pull out, and get a slap eq, i tried it on mine and pulled the knob off

Year BABY year

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    My first bass was a cheap black Samick P-J bass. The construction was on the sloppy side, but it was light, adequately balanced and had a fast, slim neck. A good bass for a sixteen year old kid trying to play faster, faster, etc.
  10. My first bass was a second-hand onyx. I bought it from a local drug addict for $50 Australian.
  11. USA j bass

it was so loved, ultra j's, baddass, all the neck done, new pickguard.

Then i sold it :( so i could get the Overwater!

Oh well, she serves me well, i'll never ever see her again :(

12. Samick 4 string with P+J pickups. bought for NZ$150. Sounded terrible. Sold it last week for $100 and 2 cds. I think I got a totally sweet deal on that sale!:D
  13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Vox "Bassmaster" .... Jus' like this..
  14. This isn't it but is just like it - I traded it and a small pile of cash for my first Fender almost 30 years ago ;)

15. Gibson EB-0 (the genuine article:eek: :eek: )

That was more than 30 years ago :D

16. my first bass was a rbx 260 with a woodgrain finish which i handcarved myself then stained and varnished a burgendy red, it dropped the weight of it by 5 kilos and brang a deeper tone into existence,pure magic :D
  17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My first bass, in Spring 1976, was a cheapy sunburst Westone bass, looking a bit like an old Burns or Hofner (not violin shape).

One year later, I purchased my first Rickenbacker.

All the best,
  18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my first bass was a "National" copy of Allan Grossman's first bass!!:p
    " at Saint Alfonso's pancake breakfast....where I stole the margarine"
    did i remeber that correctly?
  19. a hondo...shaped kinda like a a schecter scorpion or gibson dbl.cut-away les paul..with a p-style pup
  20. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My first bass was a 67 hollowbody Gibson EB2, I bought it with my paper route money back in 77,
    Traded up to a new Fender Jazz around 79-80.
    I wish I sill had that Gibson!! and the Jazz!