Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rocking 4 life, Apr 10, 2002.

1. i'm just about to get my first bass woohoo! :) (either MIM fender j-bass or p-bass)..

i was wonder.. what was your first bass? and what did you think of it?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think we can find room for this in "Basses", Buckaroo.

Moved

3. My first bass was / is a Squier P. Black finish, white guard, rosewood fretboard.

Has since been upgraded with a black guard and bridge cover. I also dropped in some heavy duty pots, like the ones they use in MIA Fenders. S-D 1/4 pound pups are on my Wanted list.

It may be a Squier, but it is a workhorse. The construction quality is as good as (if not better) than a MIM Fender.

Bought it new in 1997 for $150.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The first one I owned was a Guild B-301!!! Cost about £80 ($110?) back in 1989!!! Still have it. I thought it was greatstill do. Don't play it very often now that I have the Spectors - I'm just letting it appreciate quietly in it's hardcase!!!!

OK, I actually do bring it out and play it from time to time - it's still great really!!!

5. A Pearly-white Aria Pro II XRB was my first bass :)

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    MIM J. Still have it.

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Kingston Jazz bass clone. Not the MTD, Kingston was the brand name. it was a bass with a plywood body, finished in white similar to a jazz bass but without pickguard. a bass for beginners that i had really cheap together with an arrow 10w amp.

8. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Mine was an Encore p-bass copy, which was cool, however i started trying to play marcus miller, and p-bass is not great for slap ;)

It will always have a special place in my heart.....the first bass i ever played (tears in my eyes), when i was young and free, and........those were the days!!

actually after i saw another bass with a knob that you could pull out, and get a slap eq, i tried it on mine and pulled the knob off
    :D

Year BABY year

Peace

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    My first bass was a cheap black Samick P-J bass. The construction was on the sloppy side, but it was light, adequately balanced and had a fast, slim neck. A good bass for a sixteen year old kid trying to play faster, faster, etc.

10. My first bass was a second-hand onyx. I bought it from a local drug addict for $50 Australian.

11. USA j bass

it was so loved, ultra j's, baddass, all the neck done, new pickguard.

Then i sold it :( so i could get the Overwater!

Oh well, she serves me well, i'll never ever see her again :(

stu

12. Samick 4 string with P+J pickups. bought for NZ$150. Sounded terrible. Sold it last week for $100 and 2 cds. I think I got a totally sweet deal on that sale!:D

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Vox "Bassmaster" .... Jus' like this..

14. This isn't it but is just like it - I traded it and a small pile of cash for my first Fender almost 30 years ago ;)

[​IMG]

15. Gibson EB-0 (the genuine article:eek: :eek: )

That was more than 30 years ago :D

John

16. my first bass was a rbx 260 with a woodgrain finish which i handcarved myself then stained and varnished a burgendy red, it dropped the weight of it by 5 kilos and brang a deeper tone into existence,pure magic :D

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My first bass, in Spring 1976, was a cheapy sunburst Westone bass, looking a bit like an old Burns or Hofner (not violin shape).

One year later, I purchased my first Rickenbacker.

All the best,

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    my first bass was a "National" copy of Allan Grossman's first bass!!:p
    " at Saint Alfonso's pancake breakfast....where I stole the margarine"
    did i remeber that correctly?

19. a hondo...shaped kinda like a a schecter scorpion or gibson dbl.cut-away les paul..with a p-style pup

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My first bass was a 67 hollowbody Gibson EB2, I bought it with my paper route money back in 77,
    Traded up to a new Fender Jazz around 79-80.
    I wish I sill had that Gibson!! and the Jazz!