Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first ever....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by absinthe, Feb 6, 2002.

1. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    ....bassline?

As in the first *tune* you ever learned to play, not scales, arpeggios etc. The things you played along with that made you feel: "Hey, I'm a musician! I'm keeping up with the band!"

I'll go so far as to name my first three::

1. Green Onions - (Booker T & the MG's)
    2. These Boots Were Made for Walking - (Nancy Sinatra)
    3. Day Tripper - (The Beatles)
      [/list=1]

1. I also learned some 12 bar blues in amongst these too, (and use them mainly as practice and warm up exercises) but they don't count as play-along-with-the-band-basslines.

Do you still play your first basslines today? I do, but then, I haven't been going for very long... :p

Bring out your dead!

2. Hi there,

Mine has to be Pink Floyd's "Money" which, strangely, is the first one I picked up on when I started playing bass. Boots and Onions I still need work on, even though they're less complex. Go fig.

And while you were posting, I snuck some practice time on your Washburn. Mute that!! :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does it count if I composed my first bassline? I started in church at age 12, and played along with the typical I-IV-V stuff that is in the hymnals. But I guess I didn't compose those basslines.

But I was in my first band at 15 or so, and composed basslines to all of our songs, 3 or 4 years before I ever tried to play someone else's stuff.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Kiss "love gun" and then The Doors "rider of the storm"

5. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I went out and got my first bass, (a P.O.S. that I sold 3 months later) and in the middle of F***ing around I all the sudden was playing my first song, Marilyn Mansons version of "I Put A Spell On You". I was quite plaesed considering i had never played anything on anything, and here Ive had this song coming out of a bass after about 3 hours of buying it. I stayed up all night playing with the track.

6. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Well, if you played with a band, it counts.

Yea....I heard!

(Buzz is mah man, btw. And a recent bass convert, hence the blatant stealing of the bass...) :eek:

I think the time has come, my dear, for us to admit the horrible truth.

We need separate basses! :p

7. At the same time I got my first bass, my brother got his first drum kit. It was right around the time Police "Synchronicity" was out. We sat in a room and tried to learn every song on the album. Talk about overreaching.

I don't remember the actual first song I ever learned in a band situation, but some of the songs I remember the most are Twilight Zone/Golden Earring (cuz I got to do that neato bass solo), You Got Another Thing Coming/Priest, Working For the Weekend/Loverboy, you know, the usual 80's hard rock/metal junk most people my age played back then.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The first bassline I ever played was "Talking In Your Sleep" by the Romantics. Actually it was the C scale, but that was the first song!
    The first bassline I ever played on stage was "Spanish Bombs" by the Clash.

9. i think it was sublime's "caress me down."

10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I think the first song my first sad excuse of a band got through was Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid'...

...or it could have been Thin Lizzy's 'Dancing in the Moonlight'...

Damn, that's a long time ago :D

11. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    The first song I ever learned was Come Together. Hotdamn I love that song! :) Right around the same time was Limp Bizkit's "Rearranged" - very excellent bassline.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Like Embellisher, my first bassline was composed by, me. My roommate played guitar, and we would invite a friend over to jam over a little tune we wrote. It was written bassline first, then chords. I don't remember the line, but it was in Emin.

The first cover, was The Meters "Tippi-Toes."

13. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water and Sublime's April 29. Various crappy basslines of my own also.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Metallica- Orion
    Hotboxed- Who's Blood

15. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    My first bass lines were Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and "Make Me Smile." I think I worked out the entire "Ballet for a Girl In Buchannon" suite after about 3 weeks of playing too.

I rarely play Chicago tunes anymore, even though they definitely rock, but I might try to go back and work on the Ballet suite again... some tricky stuff in there!

16. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm gonna give this one a bit of a tweak.

What is the easiest and most fun bassline you've ever played?

For me it has to be "She Sells Sanctuary" by the Cult.

A dawdle to memorise - but damn tiring on untrained muscles! Great fun, though... :p

17. The first song I ever played with anyone was Volcano Girls by Veruca Salt.

The most fun, is Godzilla by BOC.

The first one I figured out all by myself, and is also pretty fun, is Mamma Told Me Not to Come, by Three Dog Night.

Lisa

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sultans Of Swing -Dire Straits :eek:

I picked up the bass for our school band, and this was the first song of three I had to learn for the first rehearsal a week later. I forgot the other two.
    Worked ok, thanks to my violin lessons, I was able to pick it up pretty fast.

19. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I started to play in a band 2 weeks after I got my first bass. I couldn't even figure out the original bass lines of most songs. I was REALLY bad, but so was the rest of the band :D
    Our first 3 songs were Long Tall Sally, Honky Tonk Women, House of the Rising Sun. This is 15 years ago now but I still remember it very well. I felt like a hero. :D

As for fun with simple bass lines: We're currently playing Life is a Rollercoaster with one of my bands - I just enjoy to link with the drummer and thump along and throw in a fill every now and then. Simple songs can be great joy if the band plays them well...

Matthias

Edit: Oh I forgot the funniest bass line: The theme from the animated cartoon 'Wickie und die starken Maenner' - I don't think that this exists in English and how it is called. JMX will know it though :)

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The first one I learned was Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams - not too difficult but boy was I chuffed!!! (You should have seen the bass I was trying to 'learn' on!)

I did a few othrs - can't remember them all(She Sells Sanctuary, All Night long and a few others) But the next one that gave me that chuffed feeling was Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. 14 years on and i still can't play the bass bridge right - but I'm getting close!!!!