1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was your first giggable bass amp/rig? Share some memories.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Hughes, May 23, 2020.

1. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    What was your first bass amp/rig that you could gig with?

Peavey TKO 115

lightish and powerful
    Weird Peavey controls

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    68 Fender Bassman

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    '63 Hofner Beatle bass into a black, tuck' n
    roll Kustom 200 with a 2x15 JBL D140 cab.

I played clean with a pick so it did okay, especially in the echo chambers we played in. Could have been louder but no one complained.

After about 1.5 years, switched to Sunn 2000s and JBL cab along with a '64 Jazz bass that really took care of business.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Jnoor, 6tzguy, Guild B301 and 6 others like this.
  4. Brand new Gibson Ripper (in natural) with a Peavey Mk2 Bass head (the silver knobs with the built-in FUZZ circuit) and a 215BW cabinet. The only Gibson bass I ever liked, the head was OK, and the cabinet weighed 135lbs, average for the day. I thought I was the s**t !

5. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Peavey Mark III into Ampeg 2x15. I thought I needed something fancier and replaced it with a GK 800RB (also good, though I managed to blow it up [my fault, not GK’s]), but I should have just stuck with the Peavey. I corrected that historical error a bit over a year ago and now have this for my quarantine rig.
    665C159F-E121-470A-883A-2C1DB4E99CE8.jpeg
    I also have two TKOs now, one for myself and one for my son :bassist::bassist:

6. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  7. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    This 1970 Bassman head with a home made cab housing a JBL K140. I still have the amp and the speaker but the cab was in terrible condition after decades of use so I think it's time to build a new cab for the K140.

IMG_0680.jpg

8. New early 70's Sunn Model-T amp with 2@ 4x10 speakers. I often got told to turn it down.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    First amp was a Peavey Basic(60?). Used to jam with a drummer in Jr High and it would make my young ears ring. After that I climbed the GK ladder...200RB, 400RB and 800RB. I used the 200RB for DB over a Bose 908 I’d borrow from our HS, also used the 400RB over that cab as well as a PAS 1x15(not together). I got the 1x15 when I started gigging on BG. After that it was the 800RB and the first series of aluminum Hartke 4x10 +1x15 cabs. The cabs were not too durable back then.
    If nothing else the whole experience taught me to just get the big amp off the bat and turn it down when you don’t need all the watts. It was a good lesson that’s saved me a lot of money over the decades.

BrentSimons and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  10. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Late 80's ... A Peavey Centurion head and a single 15" Peavey Black Widow cabinet. I keep thinking of picking up an old Centurion for nostalgia's sake. I had a natural-ash-bodied Peavey Foundation as well, my first bass, and that I truly miss ... I've not found another ash one since.

11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I did one gig with my Supro Thunderbolt (avatar pic) but that was in a tiny room, just set up to video our live performance. ( This was back when the videotape was on reels...)

So I can say that it was my second rig that was really gig ready, it was an acoustic 260 (with the big aluminum hockey puck knobs) into a matching acoustic cab (2-15 plus mid horn). My first car was a 66 Chevelle wagon bought especially for hauling that rig around... :)

PS, not this exact unit, but this model...

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it was a kay DB. the cabinet was DIY and held a 15" JBL. i don't remember what amp head i used at first. when i switched to EB (it was a fretted ric) i used a DIY 2-15 and i had a customized 'parts amp' built by a local electronics wiz. i think the power section was ampeg, but the pre-amp was totally off-the-wall customized --- really cool (and a bit noisy!).

13. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    A 1973 Jazz bass into a Vox Westminster bass head into a home built copy of an Acoustic 18" folded horn.

14. I had been a lead guitarist for quite a while before switching to bass. I couldn't see buying a separate rig for bass because the one I used for guitar was sufficient. It is a blackface Fender Showman with the giant single 15" sealed cab. The speaker was the same model as they used in bass cabs and the tube head had no reverb, so call it whatever you want, it was still a functional bass amp. I use it for a Rhodes now and plan on having it biased and with new tubes soon. The first real bass rig I got was a Fender BXR300 and a Randall 2-10 cab complete with rat fur. Even though it wasn't top of the line it did the job. I've read scathing reviews of these amps but other than the 100 degree parade float fiasco (when it kept shutting down), it's been a solid workhorse for lo these many years. I've gotten a few more amps along the way but still managed to hang on to these.

15. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Trace Elliot AH400SMX with a 410+118 stack. Just dreamy sound. I have three of these stacks now, but I don't gig them anymore now that I've gone DI/IEM... I still use them in the practice room. Don't plan to change, either.

nixdad and mikewalker like this.
  16. NigeJ

NigeJ

Jul 23, 2019
    Satellite thru-neck precision into a 50w vox combo with an oval speaker. Not sure of the model....

rollie 55 likes this.
  17. Peavey TNT 100. Loved that amp, traded up for a Combo that was a beast.

gitfiddl, Monterey Bay-ss and jfh2112 like this.
  18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The first amplifier I gigged with was a tiny 1W micro amp, battery powered, into an old hi-fi speaker. I didn't need a lot of volume and it a mile walk and without a car it was going to be a pain to take my 60W combo. I also busked internationally with this setup. I have no idea what happened to it.

The first bass was a pointy-headstock Washburn B-10B. Not exactly very folky. That was later augmented with a 1980s Tokai fretless Jazz I still have which also got loaned out to another band.

19. Kwabas

Kwabas

Mar 5, 2017
    Ha, a Cimar PJ knockoff on a Roland Cube 60. Not really adequate, but I did a lot of wedding gigs, booze-loaded student and sports parties in 80s/90s. Good times. Also earned me enough to get an upgrade

20. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    '75 Tele Bass and a '73 B-15 Ampeg. Wish I still had both.
    B.

bobyoung53 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.