Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was just reading the thread pertaining to a first interview, and it got me interested. So, if you feel like it, go ahead and post what your first job was/is.

I guess I'll start:
    My first job was selling fireworks. It was fun and easy, we just had to make sure nobody smoked inside the tent. Really, nobody could smoke inside the tent. No, I'm not kidding. It took a lot of time and attention making sure that nobody smoked inside the tent. So you get the idea... it was easy.

Now i work in a coffee shop, which is pretty chill. I'm 16, what can I say?

Anyway, I thought this might be an interesting thread. So have at it.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Grocery Store.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Property maintenance for a large office complex of about 15 buildings. Lawn mowing, weed pulling, brush trimming, sweeping, that kind of stuff.

I worked hard for my $3.15 an hour, and I learned the value of hard work on that job.

-Mike

4. 27 years ago, I helped an unlicensed contractor build a redwood deck on my folk's house. Worked all summer, made $150- spent it on a Crate bass amp- still got it, & it's still a POS.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I had a newspaper route when I was 11 until i was 15. That was a good gig, back in the day....now, kids don't do that anymore, do they?

It was great exercise, I rode at least 10-12 miles a day, and taught me to be a responsible person.

Great job.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    So uh... where'd ya go wrong from there? :p

My first job: Farm work, from 11-18. Got all my gear with 11 hour days in the fields...

Ray

7. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    Teaching guitar. Wandered into a local store about two years ago, started screwing around with some gear, attracted the attention of the owner, and wound up with a job.

8. Pumping gas at a soon-to-be bankrupt gas station. Started working around 8 hours a week. Then in the summer the boss went on vacation and so did the other employees. So I did from 6am to 8pm every day for 2 weeks. It got me my Yamaha RBX-765. And I got to sit outside and listen to the Western Festival which was going on in a nearby field. :oops:

9. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I worked in a bike shop when I was 15. All I used to do was ride, and I spent all my paychecks on more bikes/gear. :p

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I used to mow lawns/shovel snow when I was 12-15ish. My first paycheck came from a grocery store.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah, I noticed that too. When our son starting asking about making money beyond his allowance, I suggested a paper route. After calling the local newspaper, I found out everything is motor route delivery by adults now. I was told they could not find enough kids to do it on their bikes. That is sad. Being a paperboy is something every young kid should do.

-Mike

12. Catering company, show up around 2 pm, load truck, drive to wherever, unload, serve/bus tables, load up truck, drive back, unload at around 2:00 am. That was alot for me to handle seeing as I was pretty young. Can't remember exactly how old, but I am only 19 and it seems like ages ago.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    another Paper Boy here!

up at 5:30am 7 days a week from 10 to 13 years old. Started in 1978. Paid for some gear with that cash.

The Star Ledger http://www.nj.com/starledger/

I can still smell and taste the ink... it was never quite set on the paper. Stuff got on everything

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Delivering chicken for Chicken Delite! What was cool is that our store was in the same building with Daisy Mae's topless bar, featuring 250-pound go-go girls. After you developed some seniority, you got to deliver the chicken to them. They had to keep their weight up, you know.

15. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I shared a paper route with my friend when I was 12. It was mostly flyers and they came in stacks to my friend's door. We sorted them (since only certain houses get certian flyers :confused:). We had 2 routes and there was 2 of us. We had deliveries 2 times a week. Averaged at about $10 month each. I'm still not sure if it was worth it.

My first real job was/still is working at a Wedding Dress Shop. Anyone need a wedding dress? :D

16. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Same here.

Now I work for a high-end landscape design/construction/maintenance company. We plow in the winter. I guess as I got older, I graduated to the "big boy's toys." :)

17. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I did stage crew stuff at the Missouri State Fair. And general band-slave stuff.

4 hours a day, $20 an hour. Man, I loved that job.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The usual fast food Micky D's.

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    lots of odd jobs when i was a kid. didnt have my first real job till i worked at cvs.

im still at my second job, almost 8 years now.

20. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    My first paying job was holding lambs while the farmer gave them medicine and castrated them. Watching ickle baby lambs gamboling in the springtime fields still brings to my eyes...

After that, I got a job a newspaper dispatch assistant. Basically a high-class paper-boy, I worked in the distribution warehouse, sorting out orders of newspapers for newsagents. As part time jobs went, it was a good one. Paid well, wasn't particularly demanding.