Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first REAL bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Curry, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I liked the 'what was your first bass' thread. But A lot of us just had cheap junk basses. HOw about what was your first REAL bass, I mean the pimp daddy one that you saved for years to buy and how long you were playing till you bought it.

OK, here I go...

Mine was a Pedulla ET-6 and I bought it in 1994, approx 4 years after I started playing. I still have it :) I gig with it, I record with it, I sleep with it, uh, I mean... ;)

I'll edit this post and add a pic of it later.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    mine was a spector...but i sold it to get my MIA jazz...which i still have...almost a year..

steve

3. uh...i guess my ibanez GSR200 which was my first bass that i still have.. ~ Tyler

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Rickenbacker 4001, bought new in the early '70s. Some bast@rd broke into my house and stole it, among other things.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Tobias Growler. I got it after I'd been playing for about 3 months.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I was 16 and I sold my baseball card collection to get a Steinberger!! Serial #554! in 1982! I kept it about a year and traded it straight up for an Alembic which I still have. It's now retired but saw hundreds of gigs!

Rob

7. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I bought an EB Stingray 5 about a year after I started playing. The old mexi P Bass just wasn't holding its own anymore.

8. My MIA Hot-Rod P-bass. I love it...im never planning on getting rid of it.

9. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    Mine was a 93 StingRay that I bought after about 4 yrs of playing. I stopped playing 4 stings a little over 2 yrs ago so I just sold it to get a G&L 2500. :p

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My first "real" bass was a customized Ric 4003. Best damn 4 string I've owned. Had a badass 2 bridge, Seymour Duncan Ric replacement humbuckers and a black custom pickguard (bass was black as well). Was a real looker and player as well....loved that thing.
    -Bazz-

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    oh...yeah....I had been playing for about 7 years when I was finally able to afford something decent. That was six years ago. I sold it to finance a 5 string 3 years ago. I don't regret it but I do miss it sometimes.
    -Bazz-

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My first real bass was a bone ivory 60's Fender Jazz with a black pickguard and block inlays. It was stolen from my drummers' house, so I replaced it with a (then) brand spankin' new 1979 chocolate brown Music Man Sabre. Kept that for over 20 years, 'til I stumbled onto the "A" word.

Peace,

James

13. My first decent bass was a Fender Precision Lyte that I bought new in 1990.

14. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Mine was an Ibanez Soundgear 3005 Prestige 5 string. I saved up for probably 1.5 years for it, and got it when I had been playing for about 2.5 years.

15. It was a 4 string Ibanez soundgear SR1500 bubinga body with wenge/bubinga etc in the neck. I should have kept that one.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    My first REAL bass is i'll say the StingRay5 that i got earlier this year. I've been playing since 1997. I started on the Fender Jazz [4 MIM], then got the ashbory, then got the Pilot Plus 5-gave me a taste of the 5 string active world-i liked. Then i saved up paychecks, allowance, christmas money, birthday money, etc and ordered the Ray5 on December 26th. Received it sometime in Feb. i need to check about something to get the exact date. Thats all

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    It wasn't mine; belonged to my High School. '62 P-bass, red. Played it for four wonderful years ('70-'74). It's still there; every now and then, my Dad tries to con the school out of it. They also still have the white fiberglass DB that started me out. THAT they can keep;)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Huh...define "real" as in something you could be proud of? Something to gig with, record with, and love? Price tag? Quality?

I'd say my first real bass was my MTD Kingston. Great bass. Some people would probably consider my G&L L2000 I had briefly as my first.

19. Not sure. It's either a Yamaha BB 1600 I got after playing for about a year, or the Warwick Streamer Streamer Stage I got the year after. I traded the BB for the Streamer, which I still have, and always will.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A D'Agostino 5 string passive!