Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your first "Serious" bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I guess we all started out on clunkers that wouldn't stay in tune and has barbed wire-like action but what was your first bass that made you go "Oh yeah" when holding it.

Mine was an Aria SB 700. A beautiful instrument made from maple with a through neck which sat me back only 150 bucks, I played it a lot in the bands I was in at the time but I got some spinal injuries because of it's weight.

Still, I wish I hadn't sold it, it sounded so good.:bawl:

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    My 83 ray was my first non crappy bass, but Id have to say my first SERIOUS bass is my roscoe.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Late 70's Fender jazz. I was 17

Rob

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Washburn XB-102Q.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender MIM jazz bass.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Serious" is a relative thing. There are "levels" of serious. I used to play all kinds of beat up basses. I started on a short scale. My first long scale was a Guild B-301A, and that was a serious bass. The first time I got my hands on an authentic Fender J I knew why people liked them. That was a very serious bass. Then the first time I picked up an Alembic Series I in the late 70's, that was a new level of serious. Then ten years later I saw a Series II with lights all up and down the side and a triple cutaway and an awesome hippie sandwich, and that was definitely a new level of serious. It goes on like that. Each new instrument is a work of art unto itself. I look at it from an engineering standpoint, to try to get the best compromise between features and operability, so for instance it doesn't help me to have too many knobs to turn 'cause during a performance it's sometimes everything I can do just to get to one of 'em. But the ones that are there have to be meaningful. That kind of thing.

8. My MIA Hot-Rod Fender P-bass.
    I still love this bass alot. And personally believe it can hold its own to any other bass in its range. When i bought it i literally tried about 50 basses before i found this one. It just felt great, and sounded mean, and looked great to boot! :)

It also has special significance to me as well as my father helped pick it out for me. He never really was intrested in anything i ever done except playing bass/guitar. He dissapproved of about every other hobby i ever had cept playing instruments.
    But he helped me pick the Hot-Rod out so i will never part with it. :bassist:

9. My second bass and the one I'm playing now, a Soundgear SRX 500.

Had about 7 months of gas built up from playing around all different music stores once or twice a month until I could afford something nice, just barely ended up picking it over a Geddy Lee Jazz.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    This reminds me how lucky are you guys who have started on bass lately, or at least the last ten or fifteen years or so.

When I was young, the crappy POS basses were really crappy POS basses. For the same money, relatively, there are a mountain of decent basses out there now.....

...anyway, I guess my first 'real' bass was a Gibson EBO. The shine wore off rather quickly as I discovered its bathtub flatulence (lack of) tone, but at first - wow. I had a Gibson!

I was fifteen or so, which would have made the year about....1971-2.

"I got better."

11. Still waiting for my first serious bass...
    Going on 3 years with a Cort Action...

Glenn

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've never had a "bad" bass IMO. I started on a Fender MIM Jazz [97], my first 5er was a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 [01], and my main bass and so far only MIA bass is an Ernie Ball StingRay5 [03]. The Ray5 is the bass that i think i could play for the next 30-50 years and be happy. Yeah there are plenty of basses that i want, and there are plenty of designs i would love to try. E.g. an 8 or 9 string bass i would love to try, but it isn't going to hamper my playing if i don't get to play one. You Dig?

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My first bass was pretty serious. It was a J copy with the brand name Kondo. It had very substandard hardware, though.

My next bass, an Ibanez Roadstar II was way better.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    An Ibanez Roadster (sp?) that I bought as a kid, followed very closely by the BC Rich Mockingbird I bought a few months later. Both I have regretted selling and both inspired me to play.

Dan :bassist:

15. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Yamaha TRB6II for me

16. Washburn SB-40, transparent red neckthrough, P/J pickups.

I still regret selling it...

17. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Modulus Quantum 6

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston.

If that doesn't count, a G&L L2000 does.

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my first serious bass was a Cort Artisan A4. Not the model actually produced. It was a neck thru maple wenge with rosewood fretboard and maple body wings. body was simlar to an ibanez ergodyne. pickups were PJ Select by EMG. it was a damn nice bass. i would lobe to have it back and upgrade the bass to true EMG pickups.

it was transparent green. no pics of a similar bass on the net...:(

20. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

My first bass, and first serious bass (boy was I lucky) was a Guild B-301! And I still have it - every once in a while it gets brought out and thrashed to within an inch of it's life, still has one of the fastest necks I've ever played!:)