Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What was your greatest Christmas gift ever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Dec 24, 2003.

1. I don't know what mine would be but this year I built my girlfriend a stand up painting eisle and such and it's the greatest thing ever, I also made her cookies and GET THIS.....

S'MORES FACTORY

It's like a little campfire type over thingy with a lazy susan base and holders for the graham crackers, marshmellows and chocolate. Plus little roasting forks and such. It is amazing.

So what about you guys?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Greatest?! A freaking 1600 buck go-kart like 6-7 years ago. That was the best Christmas gift ever!!!!!!!! I was forced to sell it once I moved and only for $800 back for it, and I only got to use about 200-300 of the for me. :bawl:
    Now all I get are clothes that I'll never wear or little dink thinks.

This year, I asked for bass gear, stuff to complete my rig. What gear did I get? Only a Comfort Strap, which wasn't even on my list.

~Patrick

3. That's easy...

Christmas 1998 - My wife Debbie was just over 30 days out from receiving a bone marrow transplant for CML - Chronic Myologenic Leukemia. I was staying with her in Tampa in a "safe" apartment provided by the Cancer center for her to be near the hospital in case of fever spike or other bad turns the treatment could take. As things would have it, Deb had to be re-admitted to the hospital on Christmas day for a GI problem. While she was there, her father, John, was also admitted to the Cancer Center for the final stages of his own Mesothelioma. Well, things went from bad to worse at that point and her father died in a room one floor above my wife. She saw him briefly before the end but her condition precluded being with him when he passed. That was December 26th.

It wasn't until the next day that we learned that my wife's leukemia was upgraded to "in remission".

I believe with all my heart that the man, who had given us so much before his death, continued his generosity to his daughter and offered the last bit of help he could to steer Deb through her immediate danger. Of course, this was all guided by our Lord in plan.

Merry Christmas!

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think you hit the nail on the head hambone.

Best Christmas gift ever? Salvation.:)

5. best material gift i ever got is probably the gift that im getting this year, 2,000 towards the bass of my choice. now i just have to decide which :p

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Red Ryder BB Gun?

Actually, it's the Epiphone bass I received on Xmas '72(still have it, too).
    No bass & I'm probably still a virgin.

Nice story, Hambone!

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well no one can beat ham bone :p...

Probably my first bass last year (I was almost 14)... that really opened some doors for me... So what if it was only a GSR 200 :p?

But I did get a pretty nice first amp with it, fender bassman 60... even if it does clip at 5... :)

But yeah, I've loved everything I've ever gotten... save a few stupid shirts and what not... I just appreciate the thought my parents put into stuff...

8. great movie! i musta watched it 3 times yesterday!

:p

how do teach my bass that trick???

9. 2,000 towards a bass, Defeldus? AWESOME!!
    what basses are you considering?

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you're getting a bass with a starting price tag of $2K...hopefully it would do more than just lay(or hang there).
    ;)

Actually, while conversing with some old high school bandmates-
    I realized that every gal pal I've had(except ONE)was on account of music/bands. That seems pathetic & maybe even a little shallow.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That rocks man, seriously.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    With $2000 I'd get a Mexican made Fender...

...and I'd go to Mexico to pick it up myself!

:D :rolleyes:

13. Material - My computer I'm on.

Best ever, uhh.... yeah ...

14. yes, it is quite awesome! as of right now i think i'm gonna get a GT-7 BD, but bass emporium has a used ken smith 6 string (long time favorite of mine) for 1800 i believe, so thats definitely an option. i am also talking to JPJ about a nordstrand... so many choices!

also, i am getting myself a brice V2 5 string fretless to mess around on and a SansAmp RBI pre amp and a QSC 1850HD power amp (buying from TBer Sanctum.)

so yeah, this year is gonna rock! :bassist:

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You win.

Like ... BIG TIME.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That is great Hambone. :)

best material gift, GT-7 from my wife.

17. Falling asleep with Meghan in my arms.

Nothing better man, nothing better.:smug:

Course, the digital camera was cool, as have been the billions of LEGOs that I have recieved, oh, ans the English long sword last year. That totally kicked a$$. The best part about is was that dad made a case for it by routing out a cavity between two boards, putting hinges on them, then staining them. Course, when I unwrapped it, I thought he had given me two boards. Very confusing.

Rock on
    Eric