WHAT WASHBURN BASS DO YOU REALLY WANT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Mar 21, 2014.

1. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I wish I had one... maybe you'd part with one of yours :bag:

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Oh...hmm...that's right..it was UberSoldat who had the SB-40EQ..it would be 1982 of course.

Uh, I would be glad to accommodate you with one of my SB-40's and send it to you postage free. But when I asked them if they'd be willing to leave me, there was utter silence.
    Of course, I had to take that as a pissed-off disapproval of the idea on their part. So I guess I won't be able to do it. Sorry about that. Dang.....

OK, that beautiful Badger signature bass of yours (wow!) was it your understanding that is IS an XB-1000 also? Or the PB model for Japan that SP_EB4L explained to us?

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya SP_EB4L...............So the bass in UK, just like ubnamar's...very very nice. You think it must be a PB-1250 then because we KNOW the XB-1000 ad has the one pickup, NOT P/J. That is what confused me to see the official XB-1000 ad with the one pickup and then the "Custom" Pat Badger bass called an XB-1000 in THAT ad.

Are you trying to get that PB-1250 in UK? It is SO nice. Ubnamar probably loves his! Good luck for that.

4. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Hey guys... I'm just following your leads. You both do a great job of digging through the Washburn history and then trying to organize what you find.

When I follow a thread and see a link... I'll often follow the link and post the pics into the thread for others to see. In this case I saw the info on the single pickup XB-1000. It looked like a fantastic model so I followed the link to the UK Basschat. Then I posted the pics of the Pat Badger PB-1250 and Pat Badger ad that I found there.

I noticed that the ad was a bit different than the other one that MEKER posted here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/what-washburn-bass-do-you-really-want-1064628/#post15680658

I gets confusing when one ad mentions Pat's Custom XB-1000 and the other ad shows him posed with the same bass and mentions XB-200 in the small print below the picture.

It would make sense that the bass that Pat is pictured playing is actually the PB-1250: http://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/u59768750/

[​IMG]

For the record... my only current Washburn is a USA SHBH1, and I previously owned an XB-900.

I'm 51... so I saw many of the 70s and 80s Washburn models brand new at the local music stores... hanging just out of my (at the time) financial grasp. I still have many fond recollections of basses I could have owned if I had a bit more $$$.

The history of Washburn instruments is very convoluted and requires the diligence and dedication of the faithful... like MEKer (and others) to unravel it for the rest of us :bassist:

5. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I'd love to own one of those early eighties Force or Stage series basses, since they look so bad ass. And judging from Bakhiti Kumahlo's tone on the Graceland concert, they also sound bad ass.

I once owned a Stage series guitar and A-5, I guess it was called, that was slaughtered by its previous owner which I lovingly restored.
    [​IMG]
    Here how it was when I got it, it was a two single coil guitar the Humbucker was put in by a baboon, who chopped the cavity very sloppily.

So I routed a recessed square to fit over that cavity, fitted a piece of wood into that and routed a neat humbucker cavity and i figured that I might as well do away with the neck pickup and replace it with a humbucker as well. Before refinishing the front of the guitar.
    [​IMG]
    But I didn't keep that guitar since that V-shaped neck felt very uncomfortable to me. The guy who bought it from me said that he couldn't even see that it once had been a two single coil guitar.

Job well done I take it. :cool:

6. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Heya MEKer, I am waiting for it this week if UPS don't lost it somewhere between Mississauga (Ontario) and Montreal (my place), then after I'll try to put the neck at is place as it was shipped with the neck apart of the body and there is shims to put between the neck and the neck pocket. I bought an old Harmony in the past that was shipped that way and I did not have any problems to set up the neck so this times it will probably be no more troubles. I just hope that the Custom officiers didn't mess up every thing during their inspection. I am not sure if it's Washburn by themself who mixed up their model indentifications, ubnomnar and you was mystify by all these ads. If you look carefully in the 1994 catalog and in the 1994 price list, we could see the picture of the real XB-1000 (page 16) and the description of it (in the price list) that correspond to the picture of the neck-through with one Batolini pick-up etc..., we also could see the image of the PB-1250 (page 18) describe as an custom Bantam XB-1000 with the EMG pick-ups and it look to have the same Wilkinson bridge as for the production XB-1000.

Now, that a look at the 1995 Japanese PB-1250 (we could look at the ads that ubnomnar had posted or at the pictures from "ex" cetera now SP_EB4L bass), we could remark that the bridge is not a Wilkinson it's a Wasburn similar to the one found on the XB-200, 400 and 800 of 1995, the pick-ups is the real EMG like on the Par Badger custom XB-1000. Finally, the neck on the PB-1250 is bolt-on, so probably the PB-1250 signature bass is really a Japanese product that is a not completly similar to the real Pat Badger Washburn that is probably a real XB-1000 but with the EMG PJ instead of the production model Bartolini. Finally, just one last detail, look at the controls knobs of the Pat Badger black XB-1000, the knobs are black and look like plastic that is not the same as on the PB-1250 that are chrome metallic knobs.

In conclusion, Pat Badger had order an XB-1000 custom with EMG PJ instead of the factory Bartolini and the signature PB1250 is an XB-200 equiped with the same EMG PJ and with a bolt-on neck and a supposed swamp ash body (I say supposed as it painted hard black we can't see the wood grain but the weight will give us some clues), as describe in the Washburn publicity. Neither, the XB-1000 or the the PB-1250 was listed in the 1995 prices list. So, the problems is not Washburn, it's the publicity company they hired to make their ads.

7. SP_EB4L

Good evening Blazer, if you are looking for Bakhiti Kumahlo bass, there is a SB-40 EQ fretless available at Music Go Round in Lilburn (GA), it's not NOS but it look good for 300$.

8. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I posted this some time ago but here it is again. Bakithi Kumahlo's bass was a B-40 fretless (not an SB or a B-40EQ):

"There's always been a bit of confusion about his fretless bass he played with Paul Simon on the Grraceland tour. I always maintained it is a Washburn B-40, even tho there are references to it as an SB-40 or even something else. Even Bakithi called it an SB once.
    I just found out, confirmed in interview himself in the following book from 2008:

Bass Player (magazine) Presents The Fretless Bass, pub 2008 by BackBeat/Hal Leonard Corp, edited by Chris Lisi, foreward by Pino Palladino. On page 30, in Bakithi's interviewed chapter they lay out his gear. It is: Washburn B-40 fretless, a Joey G fretless 4-string, Killer B fretted 6-string, Modulus 5-string, DR Hi-Beam strings, Aguilar amps.

AND
    Also In the book, BRAVE NEW BASS from Bass Players Library, pub 2003 Hal Leonard Corp, foreward by Anthony Jackson,page 187 Bakithi himself says he bought the B-40 fretless because it was the cheapest bass in the store (still in S. Africa before Paul picked him up) as nobody could play it."

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Good work as usual, SP_EB4L! I have found several mistakes in Washburn ads and catalogs. So this is one too. I posted on the Basschat thread to cetera and asked for the serial number. But you are getting it! Congratulations!
    So we have:
    1. So you are getting this bass and it is the Japanese PB-1250, like the one in the Pat Badger ad saying XB-200 in lower left corner, yes? That ad does not say he is playing XB-1000, it says XB-200...so the ad really is an XB-200 ad for Pat, right? Then I wonder if the PB-1250 is a separate Japanese deal using the XB-200 for Asia/Europe sales? What do you think?
    2. The regular catalog page with the single Bartolini is the "real" standard production XB-1000.
    3. The ad I posted with Badger, saying it is a "custom" XB-1000 and NOT a bolt-on, is ALSO a real XB-1000 except he put in those P/J pickups and as a result, the ad is a little misleading to everyone, right?

I studied both Pat Badger ads, looked at individual hairs on his head and every inch to see if they are different pictures. Both pictures are exactly the same. Do you think, then that the Custom XB-1000 with the EMG P/J's picture was used in the Pat Badger XB-200 ad also and by accident? They used the wrong bass and names in two Rudy Sarzo ads back in 1982 and 1983. What do you think? Hah! Now I am confused again---my usual state of mind sometimes.

10. SP_EB4L

I think you summarized my long text in 3 points, you are the best, your brother should let you revise his scientific papers before he send it to journal editor to extirpate the essence of the topics as we always make too long papers. At least I should send you mine.:D

11. SP_EB4L

you could be sure I'll post all the characteristics of this bass, including the serial number (if it get one).

12. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Thanks but it isn't the right bass, the pickups differ and it also hasn't got the same headstock as Kumalo's, it should look like this.
    [​IMG]

It's just so obviously a Matsumoku.

13. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    It is also so obviously a Wing Series B-40. Did you catch the references in the books' interviews with Bakithi I posted (post #28 above)? Yes, he was playing a B-40 fretless. This B-40 picture you posted belongs to a guy in the UK named Bassassin at Basschat.com. It is absolutely gorgeous, is it not? It is a 1982, serial number 820310.
    The headstock in the the bass SP_EB4L referred you to at Music-Go-Round is a Force series Headstock because that is a B-40EQ
    with a mistaken, factory-error serial number 000433. B-40EQ's were made 1983-1985. (The Force-series-headstocked B-40EQW came out in 1982-83 and themselves are a "mistake" in some areas which I will not go into here). Anyway, the Music-Go-Round bass is not an SB-40EQ (which is also a Wing and were made in 1982 only) and it is not the fretless bass you are after.

Yes, finding a sweet fretless like this would be awesome!!! Of course, having Bassassin's truly beautiful B-40 would be equally exciting!!

14. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    would love to own another Force 8 / 40 BBR at some time.

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Don't blame you. Me and Melonthief have 1984 Force 40 BBR's and MortallyWounded has a 1984 Force 8 BBR and SP_EB4L has a 1985 B-8 BBR. That's only 4 out of everything among the members. They are a bit hard to find, but dang they are cool, great basses!
    Good luck on finding/getting one. I hope you do.:bassist:

16. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    thanks - mee too ;) as I've stated in the past....it's been my biggest regret over the years letting to one I had go, but had hospital bills to pay at the time, thankfully I held on to "Ethel" (my B50r).

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yeah, that B-50RS of yours is a beaut!:bassist:

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I cannot imagine what Randy Washburn would want...hmmmmm...

19. SP_EB4L

Here is a very nice Stage series bass that I like to get but the guy don't want to send it to Canada. It was sold previously in July 2009 and at that time I missed it.

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Heya SP_EB4L---go to main Club thread page 24, post 463 and look what I tell you about this bass. It was also back for sale last November. That is when I saw it and took the pictures into my files.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021